Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh no!! I just called novak enterprises to order my 727 to dana 300 adapter and THEY DON'T MAKE THEM!! Apparently when 4wheeler magazine said that Novak makes them, they meant that if you are writing a story for a big magazine and are friends with the owner of the company, they will whip up a custom adapter for you. That doesn't describe me. I'm really frustrated right now. Anyone have any ideas? I didn't want to swap trannies due to cost (thanks Leve/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif), and wanted a two stick shifter so I could still have 2-lo until I can afford the front axle. My current tranny is a 727 TF. I know that some full size J trucks came with this tranny but don't know which txfer case or where to find the parts to use from them. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.

--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My J10 has a Dana 20 behind the 727. Could you go that route, then twins tick the 20? The D20 in my CJ5 is a twin stick originaly from a Scout, or you can make your own linkage, or modify the sticks from a 300.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Well, that sucks big time! I've never done this sort of thing before because I've never had to...but isn't the adapter just a piece of metal out with holes cut out to fit studs, bolt holes and shafts? Now, I am no genius, but could this be duplicated easily with a little fore thought? It seems very similar to the Clocking rings in design.

If I am wrong here, someone hit me up aside the head...

1. Find the center of the piece.
2. Drill/cut the hole for the transmission output shaft.
3. Mark all transmission case bolt holes.
4. Drill all transmission case bolt holes.
5. Thread all transmission case bolt holes.
6. Countersink all transmission bolt holes where needed.
7. dry mount transfer case to adapter.
8. Mark all transfer case bolt hole centers.
9. Drill all transfer case bolt holes.
10. Thread all transfer case bolt holes.
11. Countersink all transfer case bolt holes where needes.
12. Insert studs and weld where needed.
13. Grind down all welds where needed.

Heck.. you are finished!

Though the jobs involved it is do-able with a little logic, math and forethough a good compass, string and a little luck and hand tools... not to leave out patience.

Then of course there's Advance Adapters.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Scouts also had the TF727 with the D20 attached, and passenegr's drop as well. That D20 is also easy to twin stick.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
that sucks,
i was thinking (could be way off) don't a np208 (drivers drop) have a circular 6 bolt pattern? and a dana 300 also has a circular 6 bolt pattern. i'm not sure if i'm imagining this but i think they are the same diameter but maybe two holes are off?
also i think they have the same shaft diameter and spline count, 23?

why i'm thinking this is i know some J-20's came with T18's and np203's, and i'm thinking someone told me that you could just bolt a dana 300 on with little modification.
good luck,

3/4tonYJ

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys, thanks for the responses. Patrick, If I could adapt a dana 20 to twin stick, I would be happy with that. Leve, as usual you have a knack for making my overwhelming task seem doable. Thanks for the help. 3/4ton, I didn't know about the Scout's. I think that the bellhousing is different but that's an easy fix. Spidey, I didn't know about the 999/300 combo, either. Man I can't wait to look into all of this stuff. Thanks to all of you. The contraption may just become a real jeep after all.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your TF-727 came from a Full Size jeep 4x4 then it already has the adapter that you need for the Dana 300 with no modification what so ever.
I have done this very swap several times and it is a direct swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, it is the stock two wheel drive tranny on the postal. That's my problem, how to mate a 2x4 tranny up to a transfer case.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Go to a tranny shop and ask for the adapter between a 727 and the x-case. Tell them its for a G-Wagon or something. Perhaps you could get one from the junkyard? They aren't hard to find, just hard to get seperately...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.