Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, son, do you know what I pulled you over for?
No officer, I don't.
Well, you are breaking the law for not driving with at least one external side-view mirror...
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifBUT I have one right here on my front seat... it keeps falling off!!

....long story short....
I got myself a FIX IT TICKET!

Clearly, I had my doors off, and my *wonderful* aftermarket rear views are holding up..

ANY ideas to make that 2 bolt/lock nut combo actually WORK? Lock-tite didn't do it.. new hardware didn't do it (the bolts...)

YJ94
94 YJ, I6, 3.5" Warn lift, 31.5 BFG A/T
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've never really thought about mirror mounting ( my jeeps a trailer queen! means I trailer it to the trails) but it sounds like yours uses a nut and bolt arrangement? go to a hardware store and look for self locking nuts, these come in a few ways, the most serious are deformed at one end to basically seize themselves on, the others that are common are nylocks, they have a tight fitting nylon ring in one end, for a cheaper solution use two nuts and locktight, put one on tight and then crank the second one up against it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least you didn't do what the guy on the Toyota PU board did. Check out the post called Road Rage for some truly brainless behavior.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scratch the aftermarket mirror. when you remove your door you leave a handy place for a mirror to be attached in the remaining door hinge... remove your mirror assembly from your door by loosening the bolt inside the bracket attached to the door. you should have the mirror with a threaded post out of the door. i next welded the threaded portion of a long bolt to a 1.5" long steel sleeve that was just large enuf for the threaded portion of the mirror to slip into. next, reattach the nut to the threads on the mirror, locking it to the little welded assembly you made. then take the welded assembly and drop it into the hinge, locking it on with a nut. viola - street legal mirrors, without buying new mirrors. works very well for me - i hope i explained it clearly. of course i don't have any pictures!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could also get some sideview relocation brackets that move your mirror from the door post to the windshield frame. It works great if you pull your doors and put them back on a lot, but I THINK it gets in the way if you like to lay your windshield down. Also, it'll cost a few $$$ for the brackets.

absaroka

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brainless? I think he had balls. They deserved what they got. Yes dangerous but deserving.
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Road Rage

Man, I can't believe you dug up that post! That sucker was BURIED! That actually took place real close to me & I know exactly where it was. Drivers are totally nuts around STL.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
http://G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brainless, definately. Balls for brains. I don't think that is a fair exchange.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Cutch 88YJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey I never said I would have done it. You have to be crazy to do that but hey.
Aaron

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.