Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm sure there are people out there who have good use for high $$$ lights, but a friend of mine gave me some good advice when I started wheeling. Go to a discount store (Wallyworld or Nothern Tool for me) and get the biggest/cheapest set you can. Run them until they break (cause you will probably break them sooner or later). When they do you replace them with some more cheap ones.

I didn't really understand this until I saw somebody mourning his $300 lights after a minor disagreement with a tree branch. On the other hand, when I broke my biggest/most expensive light (front spots), I threw it in the back and headed to Northern Tool for another $15 replacement, tear-free.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sorry, I go for function for MY application, not necessarily form. When I'm blasting along at a BLAZING 2MPH on the trail (the only place these lights can be LEGALLY used), I'm not worried about lighting 4000 yards of trail, or 360 degrees of vision. Now if I was running a baja truck, rally car, or landing a small plane at night, that would be a different story of course.

Oh and another advantage of "el cheapo" is that I can afford to keep spares on hand just in case for auxilary lighting, or breakage. A little harder to do with high $$ models.

But hey, to each his own. YMMV

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
AllLockedUp: Do you feel like you have to justify yourself to me? Cause that's sure what it's sounding like.

Notice the phrases --
"function for MY application" yours may be different. When I night wheel I don't do it alone, and if I'm not up front I know people do not appreciate being blinded by 1000's of watts of lights into their mirrors. Your experience may be DIFFERENT than that, and hey you know that's OK, that's why we're all here.

"but hey to each his own. YMMV (your mileage may vary)." -- This is to denote that I am attempting to voice an opinion, not start a pissing match which you seem intent on creating, so why not put it back in your pants and realize that mine is only a single opinion, which happens to work for me. I never claimed that it was the only one, nor did I disagree with others who see contrary to my views.

In short, relax man. Enjoy your Hella's. I'm glad you have them, they make you happy. You like them and now everybody understands that you think they are worth the money. I have chosen to persue other solutions to the problem at hand. I think we've all made our points.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Why yes, I run the H4 headlights. Yes you get what you pay for. Nice beam pattern, lots of light, easy to change bulbs (also keep a spare set of those with me too). Since it's what I use all the time driving, I didn't mind spending the $75 for the non-sealed beams. Win hands down over stock lights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.