Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the ever-so-popular GM HEI swap on my '83 258. I have heard some say I will need a new gear and others say I can just swap the one off my current distributor. Don't want to kill my new cam so what is the real story? Please help me out since I should be getting the distributor assembly from Advanced Auto later this week and can't wait to throw it in.

'79 CJ7, '83 CJ7, '84 CJ7
258s - 1 w/ Weber, 1 - w/ Howell TBI, 1 - in restoration

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: HEI gear swap

As far as I know this is the way it is:

If you have a '74-'77 Prestolite ignition, you can use the gear off your old distributer. If you have the later Motorcraft SSI, you need a new gear.

Your options are to buy a brand new gear, or see if a wreaker will give you a really good deal on a dead Prestolite distributer (lots of AMC vehicles have these) or an AMC 304 drive gear.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

There are plenty of people using the Prestolite gear with no problems BUT the ONLY times I've ever heard of gear problems is when a Prestolite gear was being used. I've seen this on a few occasions.

In my article I used to mention how it was ok to re-use the stock Prestolite gear.... I no longer make mention of it because of the problems some have encountered.

I recently removed the 258 from my Jeep. It had the HEI as well as the Howell TBI. You'll enjoy the results... the TBI and HEI complimented each other quite nicely.
FYI... I havent seen your name on the Howell users group. If you are not familiar with it look here...

http://home.att.net/~jweir/tbi/inject.htm

Good Luck,

LarryM
85CJ7 350 TBI/T19 5.11

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Please don't try to use the gear from your 83. It will go-on, but it fits the shaft of the HEI too loose. I recommend you wait and get the gear that is recommended by PM and others who have posted on this conversion... and, that is the gear that is originally intended for the 304 V8. Many of us have been getting this gear from 4WD Hardware, and it costs around 25, plus S H. My .02

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Does anyone have the part number for this gear so that I can order it from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware ASAP?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

PN 3208615. I would refer you to the location www.geocities.com/baja/Outback/4485/hei_1_stock.htm
There is a writup on the conversion, and the part number is there. Like the article says, sources for the gear are, your local Chrysler/Jeep dealer, 4WD Hardware, and Savana Jones. (They have websites.) Also, Parts Mike has the gear (partsmike.com).
Best wishes.

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks - Just ordered it up from 4WD Hardware. They are always happy to hear from me. We don't have any good supply places local in Green Bay so I have to order from them often. They are still waiting for my 3 fiberglass body order! Have to save up a little more for that... Anyone have any comments on body replacement/prep work???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: YJ Tubs are cheaper

A YJ tub in good condition can be had for about $500. They are galvanized and it takes little modification to swap one onto a CJ7 frame. The money you save can go to better things.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

But... but... but....... it will look like a YJ and not a CJ..... Sorry, but I am a die hard CJ lover. Don't get me wrong, I will give the Jeep wave to all Jeepers, but I like my CJ's.

Rich
258s-1 w/ Weber, 1-w/ Howell TBI, 1-in restoration

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The CJ7 and YJ tubs are almost identical. You use the CJ front clip with the YJ tub! I don't think you'd notice the difference if someone drove by you with one. If your serious about buying three of them your looking at a couple grand in savings.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

tip... You might want to 'talk' to Jeepskate... He has a YJ tub already set for a CJ, and I get the feeling that he might be thinking of abandoning the project, or actually, changing direction, to a CJ-8.

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Now you've got me thinking... I have just sent a note off to Jeepskate asking about his tub. Anyone else out there in the WI area??

Rich
258s-1 w/ Weber, 1-w/ Howell TBI, 1-in restoration

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Larry,
Now... I've got it 'put together', and I realize who you are. Regarding the Prestolite gear, I've come to think it's a 'year-thing'. So far, it seems to me that if you are working with an 'older' Prestolite, then the Prestolite gear seems to be ok. But, I have found that when you get to the 80's, the Prestolite gear from the 258 is going to be too loose on the HEI. Also, I have found that the 258 gear from pre-75, with a Delco points-type 258, will work on the HEI. But...I'm with you on the recommendation of the 304 V8 gear for the Chevy HEI. It is by far the best for fit and location of the 'pin'-hole. I would no longer recommend any of the other gears, although I am aware that some of them can be made to work.

bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.