Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys: I've seen all the posts for the HEI conversion for the 258s, but what about the 304? I would love to get rid of the Prestolite dist. I've got. What donor vehicle can you use for the HEI? Any other differences? Thanks for any info.
Shain

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey I'd also like to know too. The only other ignition upgrade I've seen for a 304-401 is the msd off-road 6. been told its a sweet setup but with a new distributor it costs about $500 (a little to rich for me at this time)

-MarkyMark
80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know there are no junkyard swaps for this application.

Recently Performance Distributers 901-396-5782 started selling their version of the HEI, called the DUI.

A recent Jp Magazine article stated: The DUI is a modified Delco HEI distributer that has been specially machined to fit AMC V8s.

I have not heard of anyone modifying an HEI to fit the V8s. Do you have access to a machine shop?/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

If you do manage to do a successful junkyard/mod/swap, let me know, I would like to have that on my web page. I'm always looking for cheap fixes and mods or just anything interesting.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Performance Distributors aka Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) does in fact sell an HEI for the AMC V8's. They also sell them for Ford and Chevy's.

The one guy who I've heard that has the DUI V8 unit mentioned something about the HEI not fitting right.

Personally, Im not impressed with DUI. I've talked to them quite a few times and there seems to be only one guy there who has any knowledge whatsoever...the rest are boobs.

Here is something interesting.... The last time I talked to them, they told me they were working on an HEI for AMC 258 engines. Knowing full well that a stock GM HEI fits great on the 258, I asked him what was different about theirs. He told me they were machining it to fit the 258. I informed him that I have HEI in my jeep and have helped numerous people to install them in their jeeps and there is no problem with fit....no reason for machining. He didnt believe me and he insisted a stock GM HEI will not fit into a 258.

Someone needs to take some measurements and start going to salvage yards. My guess is there will be a stock GM HEI unit that will drop right into an AMC V8...or one that is close enough to where simple modifications can be done.

LarryM
85CJ7 350 TBI/T19 5.11

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gm SBC or BBC V8 HEI dist is much bigger than the AMC distributors, both in length, and diameter, which means it may be possible to machine one to fit into and AMC engine
JEEPRZ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was talking to parts mike aout this just today. The dui is the only game in town for the v-8 amc. And whats worse isthat i'v heard that with the high price, it still doesn't fit right in.Someone said they had to file it down. If i spend that uch money it better fit right in,for the price they should have it delivered to you by someone to install it for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The DUI is not the only game in town for the AMC V8s. There is a new distributor made by, I think MSD. Anyway, it is for the AMC V8's and even though it isnt based on a Delco big cap HEI it is in fact High Energy Ignition. One of the mags recently had a writeup about it.

Anything has got to be better than the stock ignition.

LarryM
85CJ7 350 TBI/T19 5.11

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: HEI for 304, AMC to GM

::<: I am scheming on how to "graft' an AMC 304 distributor bottom end to a GM HEI top end. As soon as I can get my hands on an AMC "core" to dismantle I think I can work it out. I'll keep Jeepdom posted on how this comes out. DAve

CJDave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.