Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my Jeep is P.O.'d at me. Just brought it home from the paint shop Thursday afternoon and when I was gassing up, noticed coolant dripping from under the jeep. The heater hose from the water pump to the back of the manifold had a pin hole in it right by the clamp; no prob, cut to fit and re-clamp. Well went to parts store to buy coolant to replace what leaked but before I re-filled, checked hoses, and sure enought the other side of the hose had a pin hole as well. The hose was a bit bigger than the connection and the clamps really had to be tight to keep it in place. It looks like the hose was a 3/4 put over 5/8 connection, anyway, went back to parts store to get hose, looked it up and it called for 7feet of 5/8 hose, bought 4feet and went home. The hose connection at the back of the manifold went in snug and tightend just fine, but the connection at the water pump was a different story. I could only get the hose about half way over the pipe from the water pump. I could see why someone would want to put 3/4 and just tighten really hard. Anyway I got it just enough over the pipe for the clamp to fit; Is this enough? or should I remove it, heat it up and try again (not much room to work with), or do what the last person did and buy a larger diameter hose and good clamps?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif we have the same problem on our 304 AMC V8, Roy....and I am going to two-piece it with a transition section made of steel in between to change hose diameters. Actually, I LIKE the 3/4" because we have two heaters and the "home run" back to the water pump from the under-floor heater needs to be a little larger to reduce the friction losses. The water goes: Engine-to-Jeep heater-to-underfloor heater-to-water pump suction side.. The floor heater is IN the tunnel which is the console riser, but it feeds from underneath./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem solved, I hope. Picked up a plastic hose size reducer (3/4 - 5/8) for a couple of bucks and clamped it all in.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The reducer is the way to go. I considered (shortly) buying a preformed hose to do the same thing. It was $24.00 from NAPA. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
I have had no problems with the reduceand it was a lot cheaper

Patrick Kulas
85 CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, and the computer called for 7 feet of cut to fit hose. I guess if you are really stuck, you can shut off your motor remove the hose and use it as a tow strap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.