Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after driving for too long with a truck that sounds like a go-cart, I am planning on having headers installed by year's end. I got a price quote for $322 for a set of Thorley's. Is this pretty good? Also, what about lifts? I would like to have the Rancho 2.5" lift installed sometime, but will this interfere with the headers? Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
hey call doug thorley themselves. i did and they told me where to get the headers at a jobber price of 180.00
if i had the number i would post it but it's been so long. i had mine jet coated and i must say it was worth
the extra 200 to have it done.i have had them glowing (timing way off) and they are still not blue. they are
however covered in clay but hell it is now a mud truck anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My truck is a 1994 with the V6 and auto trans. The trailmaster seems as though it would be very complicated--expensive--to install. I was thinking that with a 2" lift I could fit 33x9.5" tires on my factory rims. Will the headers fit on a lifted truck or will a lift affect a truck that already has headers?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get Thorley to tell you who to buy them from at the jobber cost? My experience has always been that manufacturers are hesitant to recommend one retailer over another. Where was the place located or what was the name, if you remember? I obviously would much rather pay $180 than $320, since my money tree is growing at a slower pace than I would like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not going to make a real difference with lift and headers..im running the TM 4" kit on my 94 Path with the auto trans, and running pace setter headers (like them by the way, thorleys are a little better from what i hear, but the pace setters are great for me, and are less expensive (179)) the only problem with the headers and lift is the crossover pipe is rather close to the trans pan..exhaust shop fixed that real quick...just extended it down a little..your crossover pipe will have to be modified slightly if you go with the TM lift anyways, so you might not even have to do it. Look into the TM kit, I looked into the Rancho kit, but like the 4" myself...it is complicated to install, but well worth it if you ask me..if you have any questions..let me know!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What size of tires are you running? and what kind of rims? Thanks.

F. Santizo
1995 Nissan Pathfinder 4X4 SE 5spd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do the headers really make a difference in the sound?
i have a flowmaster on now but it does sound "ricey" @ certain rpm's.
will the headers change that?
what price range are we looking @ w/install, under $500?

96 Pathy SE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had the headers on my truck for about nine months and feel that they are worth the investment. They do provide a decent increase in power, as well as MPG. As far as sounding "ricey," I haven't noticed it. I paid $300 or so for mine, but got the installation for free. I hope this helps.

Chris Ferguson

94 D21 KC, SE V6

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You got the DT's right? How did they fit with the auto tranny? I heard that the DT's wouldn't fit the V-6 w/ an auto. Glad to see you got them on...

Robert Morawski
[email protected]
ORC Nissan Section Editor

Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey Path26 did you install the TM kit yourself ? and how hard is it to do. do you like it ?
ive got a 95 path that i want to lift but dont know weather to go with the TM or A/C 3" lift Ive been looking for 3 months now on which lift to go with but still have not gotten any good answers. sorry for the long post.

YES IM CRAZY, SO WHAT !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, go with the A-C 2" plus 3" Body lift (US$ 250 + US$ 100 and you get decent 5" or more of lift). I remember having seen AntiChris to write, that the main increase in performance for being able to run bigger tires was the 3" bodylift not any lift, no s..t, and better if you combine both !!!! I did it .... and besides with the body lift you don't have problems with the headers since they do not alter position related to the chassis / engine.... enough said.

JP/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
'93 4x4 D21 King Cab
'95 4x4 Pathfinder SE-V6
[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/jpvmlichttotobal/jpvm4x4.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have thouroughly enjoyed the TM kit. Have had it on since '97. I did not install it myself, due to the fact it is rather involved. You basically rip down the entire front suspension to do it. Have to trim new tie rods (92 pathy or below outer tie rod ends). Exhaust has to be modified to work with even the factory manifolds, headers wont matter either way. All you have to do is lower the crossover pipe to clear the transmission pan. I do not recommend installing the kit yourself (unless you are a PROFESSIONAL!). The kit also requires the use of aftermarket rims with specific backspacing. Im running 32x11.50 bfgs on eagle 15x10 rims (3 3/4" backspacing). Refer to the TM directions to what wheel to use for you application. Sorry for the long post! If you have any other questions, let me know.

Happy Trails
Wade Colvard
[email protected]
http://hometown.aol.com/path26/myhomepage/index.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Robert, I've got the DT's.... uhh, but I think they are different from what you are thinking... (that's why it took me 15 minutes to type this!!!)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'm thinking of the Doug Thorley Headers, and the "Y" pipe that I was under the impression would not fit a V-6 Auto. I had heard from others doing research on which header to get that others were told by DT that the "Y" pipe would not fit because the auto trans pan was too big for the pipe to fit. Unless you made a custom "Y" or made other mods to get it to work.

Robert Morawski
[email protected]
ORC Nissan Section Editor

Will Rogers never met Bill Clinton

1 - 17 of 17 Posts