Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,425 Posts
I believe the FSM states that new ones should be used, howere you can reuse them. I did and all is well......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I reused mine with no problem too. As long as you can get consistent torque readings on them, they should be fine.

87' Samurai/Suzuki Big Block/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...

· Registered
1,126 Posts
Another thing I forgot to mention is to examine the threads and made sure they are super clean before reusing them. I sprayed them with brake cleaner and wiped them with a shop towel. Then I sprayed some cleaner in the bolt holes in the block and blew them out with compressed air. I think if the threads are not clean it can give you a false torque readings.

87' Samurai/Suzuki Big Block/dual 40mm Mikunis/header/2" exhaust/5.5" SPOA/1" shackle lift/CJ-5/Sami springs/31" High-Tecs/roll cage, bumpers & pumpkin caps in progress...

· Registered
925 Posts
It is a wet torque, dunk them in clean oil after cleaning. Torque em down in about three passes, let em sit a while, and run another pass on them. I prefer the more expensive graphite coated head gaskets, they are a single torque gasket where as the standard style head gasket must be retorqued after it gets hot and seats in.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com

· Registered
471 Posts
i always reuse mine- make sure they are super clean and
the thread holes are too-then torque in at least 3 steps
i prefer 5 steps- retorque after warm-up again--i also
retorque at 500 miles--oldzuki

88 spoa samurai/weber/isky
97 sidekick sport
those that can samurai those that can't ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.