Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
258 I-6
going through my manual in preperation for the event,I read where a special tool is required to install the timing chain cover/seal.can it be done without this tool ?
This will be the first time I take out / install an engine ,in a car(jeep) any advice or tricks would be appreciated .TIA

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

· Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice.
It is just the manual that says to use this tool to center the timing case cover when bolting it back on the block ,then use another attachment to push the seal in,I must be getting old ,or reading the manual too close,cause I never worried about this stuff when doing Harleys many moons ago(before the Yuppie takeover)
Sometimes special tools just make things go so much smoother they are worth the expence.and I hate having to stop working on something to go looking for a tool.I would rather be prepared in advance.
Couldn't I just put the seal in the case ,put the case on the shaft ,It should self center itself ? then bolt it down to the block ??

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.