Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Here's something you can all snicker at behind my back.

First off, you have to know that I have really never been offroading. I rode out into the woods once with some friends in a Jeep about 17 years ago to go camping and I drove a 1961 English Ford Anglia about 1/2 a mile through the woods about 15 years ago, looking for a way out of a local park. That covers my offroad experience in a nutshell.

I got my Samurai, an 88.5 hardtop, mostly to do battle against the elements (read: snow) on the fairly steep unpaved road on which I live. Since I got it, I have spent the vast majority of time on dressing up the interior (full diamondplate, seat track extenders, seat covers, stereo, floor mat for the cargo area, tach, etc.) not because it's more important to me, but just because it was easy and convenient and something I was capable of doing. The rest of the Zuk is dead stock. It has some 205/75-15 Bridgestone all season tires with plenty of tread, but not exactly AT tires. Not planning to do much offroading, I figured to wait until these tires are worn to get a set of decent AT tires. I did buy a tow strap, though. :eek:)

The place I live is very hilly and very rocky. If you drive past the end of my unpaved driveway, there is a pretty sharp (to me anyway) grassy dropoff to a level area where there used to be a big, round swimming pool. This drops off again, on a grassy, rocky slope, way down to to the stream in my backyard. Lots of rocks about the size of small pumpkins embedded in the ground.

Since I started reading this board and met some of the great NE Zuk guys and have been looking around on the net, I have started to become curious about offroading. I decided a great place to start would be my own backyard. That way if I got stuck, it wouldn't be a very long walk home. I agonized over this for a month, knowing I could probably get down there without getting killed, but didn't know if I could get back up.

Yesterday I just decided to go for it. With my 3 year old daughter strapped in the passenger seat, I slapped it into 4wd low and crept down the first part, a short, steep grassy slope. The first eye-opener was seeing nothing but the ground out my windshield as I descended the slope. I know thats par for the course in offroading, but feeling my vehicle at that angle and seeing that was both exciting and unnerving. I amde the first part Ok and took a deep breath to reconnoiter and reposition my Zuk for the descent down the second, longer, rocky slope. I had walked it many a time looking for diff-busters, so I knew where I was going.

Crawling and bouncing down this one was more dramatic, probably because there was a stream in front of my windshield. Getting over the rocks on the way down was also kind of nerve racking. Finally, I was on the flat part of the back yard by the stream! Woohoo! I got out and walked up the slope a little to take a picture, which is included here. You can see my daughter in the passenger side window.

Now to get back up. I scoped out the slope, deciding where to head up. I turned around down on the flat part (nice SHORT vehicle), took a deep breath and crawled towards the incline. I got about a foot up it and the rear wheels started to spin in the grass, on damp ground. Not good. I tried again and again with not much better results. I got about one car length up the slope, max. I kept getting out to see where my tires were going, moving rocks, etc. After about 45 minutes of this, I grudgingly admitted defeat and walked back to the house to decide who to call to yank me out.

I'm sitting in the house, feeling hot and stupid, and thikning about how to get out of there. I'm going over in my mind about how quickly the back tires caked up with mud and became useless. I'm mulling over what limited knowledge I have of locking differentials and if that would help me, and I began to wonder why even the front wheels weren't trying to turn when one back wheel spun...

In a flash of supreme "DOH!!!" it suddenly occurrred to me that I had put it in 4 low, but neglected to lock the front hubs. Without much fanfare, I slunk back out to the Zuk way down in the backyard, locked the hubs, and took another whack at it. About 5 lurching, twisting, bouncing tries later, I was up on the midway flat area. I reoriented, and cruised up the grassy slope without a hint of tirespin. My wife and my daughter were up on the deck, cheering and clapping.

DUH.

~daxe

Attachments

· Registered
3,040 Posts
Don't worry dude. I even forgot to lock the hubs in my stocker in the last storm we had, I got stuck in the first
5 feet of the driveway! Went down with the shovel and
looked at the hubs! Dooh! Locked them and drove up the driveway... Do you still need the parts for your fenders?
I have them if you do, Free..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html

· Registered
1,631 Posts
wildweasel what parts for the fender are you talking about?

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

G

·
it happens,
and welcome to offroader

When me and my dad were in "Spring Throphy" I put winch hook down to bumper. Next obstacle were trench/ditch, where we stucked, so we needed use winch but winch hook were down in ground under the water and mud. We used block to winch. So be ware where you hook is.

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>>Don't worry dude. I even forgot to lock the hubs in my stocker in the last storm we had, I got stuck in the first
5 feet of the driveway! Went down with the shovel and
looked at the hubs! Dooh! Locked them and drove up the driveway.

OK. I feel much better now. I figured this was about the dumbest thing that could be done. To know some of you guys have done the same thing is very encouraging.

>>. Do you still need the parts for your fenders?
I have them if you do, Free..

yeah I do. sorry to not respond sooner about your generous offer. I have recently been plagued by real life..weekends full of yardwork and family trips to boston, etc. I think about it everytime I drive past your street on my way to work, though! I gotta make time.

thanks again, Glenn.

~daxe

· Registered
7,901 Posts
That was a great story.

Glenn is right, we've all done something like that before. It's just part of wheeling, I'm sure you won't forget from now on though!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

· Registered
1,049 Posts
Hey Daxe,

It has probably happened to almost all of us here one time or another. I did the same thing eariler this year. I was working on my zuki - replacing the T-case seals. I had to lock the hubs and engage 4WD to remove the flange nut on the T-case, so I finished that up and was running LATE for a dinner engagement with some friends. I decided to take a short cut throught the woods between my father in laws property and my house. Its an old logging road, nothing too serious except one spot thats always very muddy. Well I proceded to locks the hubs(I forgot that they were already locked!) and drive the trail. When I hit the mud I just spun the tires. Not thinking and definatley not moving I hooked up the high lift jack and a tow strap to a tree and proceded to try to pull the zuki foward, well after a half an hour of that I decided that I was really LATE and should walk home and get the zuki later. No problem, got home and cleaned up, went to dinner. Of course my friends were really late, but thats another story. On the way to my friends I was thinking about the stuck and then it hit me like a ton of bricks that I had unlocked the hubs thinking that I had locked them. DUH!
Oh well, dinner was great and later when I got home I went and checked the hubs. Of course they were unlocked. Gave them a little twist and drove it right out.

Wayne

G

·
Don't worry, I think we've all done something goofy like that. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

What we like to do is unlock the rear hubs on my friend Adam's Samurai because he has the Spidertrax Full-Floater rear axle. The first few times he got in, let out the clutch, and didn't move, it was the funniest thing you've ever seen. But we've done it so many times now that he's finally learned. Oh well!

-- Geoff Beasley

· Registered
592 Posts
Daxe,

I must tell you that you now are infected with a VERY conataigious disease, Zook Fever. You will now have uncontrollable urges to drive your Samurai off-pavement more than on the highway. You will take increasingly challenging roads & trails. You already have the symptoms to better equip your rig.
Congratulations: You have begun an unending outdoor adventure that will eventually take you to the most beautiful places you have ever seen.

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

G

·
oh yea,you got it,.. ya get a samurai cause there good on gas,then....maybe some better tires.., ok,shackels...,shackel-reversal
new springs,little lift,now a g.r.s,for the bigger tires you gonna have to get..,woops,just banged a rocker,now you need nerf-bars,and bumpers to match and might get a winch,
incase you get stuck,now bigger tires,new gears and a locker as long as your in there.
well,atleast this is what happened to me.so just enjoy it because it happens to all of us.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
This same thing would have happened to me for sure when i first started wheelin, but didnt becuase i had full time hubs /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i now have locking hubs

87 samurai, 33" mud tyres, rear locker, baby rock lobster, fast back bestop top, custom bumpers, gator guard 2 interior, expander shackles, rear springs up front, soon cj's in rear, lawn edging flares

G

·
Dave,
Been there done that too many times to remember that's what happens when you go from a truck with auto hubs( 2000 Tracker and K2500 Chevy). Both of them have auto hubs and the Samurai as you found out does not. Soon you'll be looking at better tires and a lift and the list goes on and on and on. Welcome to the ZUKI club.
ROB

· Registered
313 Posts
hey daxe, your backyard looks better than anything we,ve got to climb in florida!!! how about hosting a rockcrawling event there?? welcome to the club!!

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's

· Registered
3,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
>>I'm sure you won't forget from now on though!

Yeah.. I know I'm dredging up a post from a year and half ago, but I had to share this tidbit of genius with you all.

Since putting on my POny carb recently, i have not had a chance to drive the zuk much of anyplace for more than 5 minutes and certainly no chance to wheel it. Last night my wife took a muscle relaxer and zonked out at 9pm. I put the kids to bed and found myself with nothing to do. I decided to take the zuk for a ride.

I drove around a lot of raods in the area for about an hour. Up and down hills, high speed, etc. I wanted to get the pony setup up to good operating temp to check out how it worked. Plus I did the heater clean-out thing last weekend and wanted to check out the airflow/heat.

When I was coming up to my house after the big ride I decided to go past the house and do my little trail through the woods, even though it was pitch black out. I popped it into 4lo and crawled in there and was going along well until this first dip that goes by some big chunky rocks and arounda couple really close together trees and through a little mudhole that gets soppy when it rains a lot (liek it has recently)

I proceed to get good and stuck in the mudhole. I cant back out, I cant go forward. Coudnt wheelspin it out, couldnt crawl it out, couldnt rock it out, etc. I spend about 10 minutes doing this. I get out in my sneakers and step into about a foot of mud and promptly twist my ankle on a buried rock. This is even more entertaining than usual because I have severe tendonitis in that ankle as an after effect of GOUT. ouch.

I stumble around the truck looking for clues on how to get out and have a really ingenious idea..I think I will LOCK THE HUBS and try it again.

So no, JEEPN, that first stupid event did not forever teach me to lock the hubs when I put it in 4.n I easily slimed my way through the mudhole and the one after it and did the whole first leg of the trail in and out without trouble. Also the first time I have done it with the 4:16s in there. I love those tings!!! woohoo!

~daxe

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Did the same thing Went trail riding with the club www.ohio4x4.com and had been doing some work on the zuk and had the hubs locked. Got to the trail and Locked (UN LOCKED) them and rode 1/4 way through the first trail till I allmost fliped it . Got out and locked the hubs and acused my grown son of playing a trick on me UN locking the hubs behind my back
HAd to apoligize big time on that one!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.