Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone chamged a timing belt in a V-6? Im buying a 91 X-cab With a V-6, and dont think the belt has ever been changed. Im just curious as to how many hours this will take, and is there anything special I should be aware of? Also its an automatic. HEy check out my website

Throw it in reverse and grab second

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, but on a 91 300ZX (even more complicated). It took me and a buddy 7 hours from start to finish the first time (took us nearly 5.5 the second time on a different car). There is a very detailed write up at ttzd - twinturbo Z's of Dallas. Not everything is the same, but this should give you a good guide as well as some things to look out for. Not very technical, but it is time consuming. If you have more specific questions, let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just finished about 3 weeks ago. Like in the other post: if you've never done it, it will take an entire day. The second time only about 4 or 5 hours. It is not that difficult though. Do you have a manual? One thing that may save some time, you do not have to take the radiator off as it says to do in the manual. Also, in order to get the bolt off of the crank shaft pulley I had to put a wrench on it and hit it with a dead blow hammer. If you take the radiator out you can use an impact, but with the radiator in it will be a little tight. Make sure you mark your timing gears and crankshaft gears at tdc before you take the belt off, this will make things much easier to re-align with the new belt. If you would like any more info. let me know.

sb

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thanks for your help. Im glad to hear there doesnt seem to be any "Nightmare" surprises. I dont have a manual but I should be allright because Ive changed many timing belts before, just not a Nissan V-6. Hopefully when I put it back together it runs otherwise Ill have to burn it. Ever have that happen, change a belt and have to take it apart again because your 180 degrees off? Well wish me luck. Tod

Throw it in reverse and grab second
www.dreamwater.com/todbug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehe. Yeah I've done that with a timing chain. 180 degrees off. Wasn't happy about making such a stupid (but easy) mistake. Only "nightmare" I had was having the cams rotate after I had the belt off. They rotate VERY quickly but only about 20 degrees or so - scared the crap out of me, but no damage was done. Just re-set them to the alignment marks and everything turned out fine. Good luck.

Rockjaw
89 Nissan KingCab 4x4
http://home.earthlink.net/~rockjaw/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HERE IS ONE TRICK OF THE TRADE,USE 1/2 INCH BREAKER BAR AND A GOOD SIZE - 3 FOOT PIPE INSERT THE BREAKER BAR INTO THE PIPE USE CAUSION AND REMEMBER THE ROTATION OF YOUR ENG.!!! YOUR CRANK PULLY BOLT SHOULD BE A 27 MM SET EVERYTHING UP SO THAT WHEN YOU CRANK THE ENG. OVER THE SET-UP HAS A LITTLE FREE ROTATION BEFORE THE END OF THE PIPEMAKES CONTACT W/ THE CEMENT YOR BASICLY USING THE STARTER MOTER TO BREAK LOOSE THE PULLY BOLT . IN 15 YEARS NEVER BROKE A BOLT GOOD LUCK ! OH MAKE SURE AND USE NAIL POLISH OR PAINT AND MARK SPROCKETS FOR RE ALLIGNMENT DONT FORGET TO BREAK LOOSE YOUR CAM SPROCKET BOLTS BEFORE REMOVING YOUR OLD BELT SO YOU CAN REPLACE THOSE CAM SEALS THAT LOVE TO LEAK ALL OVER YOUR NEW BELT!! GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS. NEVIL9

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another bit of advice. Change the water pump while you're at it. I did both my 91 Pathfinder and 90 pickup. Ended up replacing water pump within a couple thousand miles. By the 4th time I had it down to about 3 hours. Make sure you get timing marks correct otherwise there is a time and space conflict between valves and pistons. Other than that it's just taking stuff off and putting it back on.

Skip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts