Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe this question has been asked alot,but i need to know.my jeep likes to wander alot in to other lanes it left and right.i am constantly correcting my steering.any feed back would help,its an 86 cj7 33" tires i just put new shocks and shackle's and bushings.could it be my sterring stabilizer

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'll bet its your steering shaft, from the bottom of the column to the box. Any play/slop in it? Should be tight at both ends, no side to side or up/down movement. If any slop, this is a big contributor to wandering. Also check your box-to-frame mounts. 33s can cause alot of stress on those mounts, consider a steering box brace
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
It could also be something as simple as the toe adjustment. Since you don't express this as a shimmy or a pull ....it appears to be "hyper sensitive" to steering wheel movement (that is, if everything is "tight" otherwise). If the toe is too far "out"...... as soon as the steering is biased to one side it gives an "advantage" to the leading wheel. A toe "in" condition does the opposite ... the tires tend to plow and it takes extra wheel movement to get the vehicle heading in the desired direction.
BTW ...... do you keep the standard toe specs on offset (backspaced) wheels/tires? I would think that the reactive force of the forward motion would be somewhat multiplied given the fact that you're extending the tires "outboard".... wouldn't this justify an increased static toe?................or is the toe increased (using a toe bar not scuff guage) just by the increased diameter of the tires?
Anyone? dorfs???
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably a combination of things. Check everything previously mentioned and also check the U-joints. I had a similar problem and added a steering stabalizer, helped a little, replaced the U-joints, help even more, and replace the steering shaft with a Borgeson shaft and vibration dampner, helped alot. The Jeep goes down the road in strait line for the most part.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have it alligned at one of your local shops. My YJ did a similiar thing and and allignment fixed it. The shop in my area only charged $25. I suggest checking the other things mentioned too. An allignment shop will check most of the ball joints and steering when they align it because if there are problems, it is impossible for a proper allignment to be done. Good luck,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.