Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experiance with Harbor Freight pullers and bearing splitters. How well did they last and were they so cheep they made the job more difficult. I am looking at doing the gears in 2 differentials.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The ones I picked up from Harbor Freight are pretty damn nice. Onlt issue I have with them is they're black steel, and can rust fast. Be sure to keep a coating of light machine oil on the threads, or they'll seize.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Remember, the Chinese don't know how to make steel hard - so the bearing splitters are thicker in the web area than good ones. Sometimes that's a problem, sometimes not. Their other pullers sometimes are thicker in the stress areas too.

Otherwise they seem to be OK.

·
Registered
795 Posts
you get what you pay for. my luck with those places for tools has been hit or miss.

sometimes you can find the tool for a little more money, but get a much nicer tool.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
I don't have a problem buying HF or NT tools and using them in the garage at home. However, I won't carry them on the trail or on the highway. These tools are made with the least expensive method, with the least expensive raw materials, with the least expensive engineering you can hire; and shipped to the US for consumption. The keys here are least and consumption. If you want to trust your rig to tools that will break sometime-somewhere the pack 'em aboard. It's your choice.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I will give them a Try. I hate to buy cheep junk, but I hate even more to buy expancive junk or expancive good tools that will be lost before I need them again.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I didn't have much luck with them.
I ruined the three jaw gear puller set the first time I used them on both the large and small sizes.
The little one cost me a broken pinky finger when it went.

I think I got three uses out of the harmonic balancer puller before it went south.

I'm not brave enough to try Harbor Freight bearing seprators in a 20 ton press...
Let us know (or your next of kin) how those turn out for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Sometimes you need tools to abuse.

Click on the picture for an old thread and some serious abuse of Harbor Freight tools. I still use all of that junk when abuse is required.

It's the Iced Tea that makes it all work... Not the quality of the tools (good stuff would make it way too easy).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
He He - I guess you might say they are fine - unless you need a puller!

Remember - like with all pullers - get pressure on it, tap, tap, tap, a little more pressure, tap tap tap. Putting lots of pressure on without the tapping/vibration often leads to broken parts and/or tools.

I was pulling a big tractor axle - didn't want to budge. I had lots of pressure on it but it was stuck tight. Went in for lunch - Pow! It popped off all by itself.

Using a puller is a good time to wear those safety glasses!

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that that's when you want a good name-brand tool:

1) It's less likely to break.

2) If it does, it has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that that's when you want a good name-brand tool:

1) It's less likely to break.

2) If it does, it has a lifetime warranty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I have it all backwards... I like to save the good tools for normal work and abuse the junk, toss out the junk when broken and buy more junk cheap. The good stuff is still there when I need it.

Oh No, This thread started out about pullers.... Never mind.... I don't own any good pullers anymore, getting way to hard to find (or too expensive).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

1 - 12 of 12 Posts