Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate on frame paint I used hammerite with hammerite texture. At first I didn't like because it sagged unlike por 15 on a previous jeep.(using the ol brush method). I put it nice and thick which was part of my problem and I didn't care much for the texture. Next time I will get some of the smooth stuff, but anyhow. I had painted my rear crossmember before I welded on some angle iron for the gas tank. I hit the paint with my super cyclone wire brush attached to my angle grinder (this thing rips off old paint and undercoating) and it didn't touch it. I hit it again thinkin I had pressed on it enough and nothing, it appeared as if I was buffing it out. I finally put on a grinding disk and that was the only thing that would take it off. If your thinking about hammerite get it the stuff is as tough as a jeep.

G

·
Do you have a website for this tuff stuff? Would it be good in the box's of trucks? My buddies Ram P/U could use it!

Laters!

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
jeepgod and i both used hammerite on our frames.. it is some incredible stuff. the only place i have been able to scratch it was where i chained my jeep down and the chain rubbed on the front frame rails.. a spray can took care of that and it looks great again.
k-mart sells it in a spray can..i have seen it in charcaol gray, dark blue, green, and red. my frame is charcoal gray, jeepgods is dark blue.. his looks nicer.. you can see it on his web page.. www.jeepgod.net

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Where can I get this stuff by the gallon? Could I paint the whole exterior of my Jeep with it? And if so do you think it would work out, would it be
really tough?
Dan

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i have only seen it in spray cans for about $5.50 a can
i think it would look great on the outside of a jeep

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Usually any place that has it can order you quart sized cans of it (I have never seen it in a bigger size than that). I painted the exterior of my jeep with it using spray cans. Try Ace and True Value hardware stores. I had to call about a half dozen true values until I found one that carried the quarts of it.
I refinished my dash with it and put on about five coats. The more coats you put on the better it looks. I will be putting a few more coats on the exterior with a paint gun this summer. I would recommend this route over spray cans. The spray cans clog up easily and cause more runs. I wasn't going for a professional paint job by any stretch, but I was at least trying not to have too many runs.
Looks pretty cool and hides some of the dents and gouges in my glass body pretty well.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
The spray cans clog due to the large amounts of solids in the paint. Hammerite is available in gallon containers, but it's expensive. I can get Hammerite locally at most boat yards as well, so you might give a marina a call. Doing a whole jeep? Why not!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Is this a basic grind/sand, prime and paint deal like other paints or are there special preps I need to do? How many cans am I looking at to do a frame well? Thanks

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
No, remove scale and degrease, then paint over rust, no priming. I'd say a little over a quart, maybe 2. I'll let you know in a few weeks, I'm doing my Scrambler frame soon.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have the website offhand but go to yahoo or dogpile and type in hammerite. They have a phone number in there, call them and they should have a place near you. Its 50 a gallon, and something like 12 a quart. Rustolum makes some that comes in hammered finish but I'm not sure about the quality. I don't like the hammered finish, so I'll practice with the old spray gun and paint it some flat black. If you have trouble finding the side, holler and I'll find that number again. ken

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The number is 1-800-325-3552. I said before I wasn't sure about the quality of rustolem, its good stuff, i'm using it for the exterior of the body and the frame. The frame partly because I don't like the texture. The hammerite is great stuff though, i'm using the smooth stuff for my rollbar and bumbers.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
you can do a whole frame with 3 spray cans and have some left over.. i did mine with about 2 and half cans.. and that was a good 3 coats.. can see it on my web site.. under the "new jeep" section...
http://www.jeepgod.net

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stuff is pretty thick. I don't know for sure, but one thing is tough. I used a brush and applied it way too thick, I wish I had used one of those foam rollers. But I used about three quarters of a gallon and put it on everything, frame (two coats) axles, springs, skid plate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.