Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only slightly off subject since it does include a battery charger which any Jeep owner in the mountains of Colorado in the winter could definitly use, and guns which all Jeep owners should also have. Here's the question: I've seen 'Outers' gun cleaning kits that use a reverse electroplating process to remove lead and copper fouling from gun barrels. It basically consists of a rubber stoppers to plug the barrel, a metal rod to put down the barrel, specific liquid medium to pour down the barrel, and a small charging device to plug into the wall, and clips to hook up the barrel and the rod, thus providing a current to remove the fouling from the barrel and deposit it onto the rod. Does anyone own one of these kits, and if so, does the documentation tell you anything about the volts or amps being applied? I figure I could use my battery charger with specific resistors and apply the same charge, saving the $100 or so dollars for an Outers kit. Could it work?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think you've passed the thrifty mark a while ago. You probably could make it and get it working, but the expense of making it go(not to mention the possibility of dammage to your firearms)by far outweighs the savings(IMO).but if you want to try it more power to you. if you happen to get a glimpse of one the power supply should have the voltage and amperage listed on it.

'90 YJ 4" pro-comp susp. TFI upgrade. 258 "not all of them were bought up by yuppies."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm not going to damage my gun barrel by running a current through it, and $100 saved is $100 I can spend on the jeep. Maybe your YJ was actually bought by a yuppie.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I don't know if the battery charger will work, but I have the Outers gun cleaner, and it works great!

The liquid is a plating solution, and they use an insulated rod in the center of the barrel.
Clamp one side to the barrel and one to the rod, and you come up with an anode/ cathode arrangement.

The first thing I used it on was a 22-250, and it coated the rod up so much I had a hard time getting it out of the barrel.
It beats using mercury to raise the gunk, and it's not nearly as toxic.
(You will still have to hone or use mercury to raise the plastic coating out of shot gun barrels. Honing ruins the choke though.)

I use it on all of my rifles, Including my .300 Weatherby Mag., and it does 1,000 yards on a regular basis.
I have never seen anything restore a barrel like this thing will.
I have bought 'shot out' barrels, and raised the fouling with the Outers plating system, and the rifling is just fine, it was just full of crap that even the stiffest wire brush and mercury wouldn't bring out.
They shoot like brand new barrels when that thing is done with them.

Truly a 'better mouse trap'.

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have heard nothing but raving reports on how well the Outers works, that's why I'm trying to rig one up if possible.

I have an old model 788 in 7mm-08 that just doesn't shoot like it used to and want to 'power clean' the barrel to try to regain the accuracy. I also recently purchased a Rem 700 SF in 7mm STW and want to keep it up to par.

Any specs on the current?

Here's a link to the Outers page: http://www.outers-guncare.com/
click on "gun care" and then on "Foul-out Bore Cleaners"

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I have a Rem 700 in 7mm.08. Use it for silhouette shooting.
Only good about as far as 308 though, so anything past 700 yards is real good question...
Hits hard, and is a tack driver out to 500 yards...
Can killer at 600 yards, and runs out of steam at anything past 700 yards.
Bullet dropping too fast past 600 or 700 yards.
Good hunting platform out to about 600 yards though. Compact and hard hitting and accurate as a laser.

I started with a Weaver T-10 on top of mine, but have cense gone to Ziess, like all my long range rifles.
I get to keep up with the silhouette boys in South Dakota now that I got rid of the Weaver optics.
Those guys are serious as a heart attack when it comes to reaching out and touching something!!....
--------------------------------

Just for the record, if you buy the chemicals, and the rod, and the chamber plugs separately,
You are only $34 away from the full Kit price with the electrical unit and all in it...
I have had mine for ten years, and I love it.
I have bought replacement supplies for it about once every year, and the plating solution CAN be reused, but the rods need to be buffed off, because the crap collects on them.
I have several rods cut up for short barrels and for pistols...

And I don't think hoosierjeeper is a yuppie.
He is correct.
Unless you want you rifle to be magnetized, or have electrical corrosion starting due to not using the Outers unit, then be my guest and experiment.
It warns in the instructions not to try other current sources...
It can cause problems if you don't use the Outers unit...

I tried using an old current supply we used to do plating with way back when you could still buy the chemicals to plate at home...
The damned revolver I cleaned took two day to demagnetize...

Also, don't beat up on people trying to help.

I don't know if hoosierjeeper is into guns or not, but Indiana is the only state of it's small population to have THREE one thousand yard ranges...
We are a little serious about reaching out with rifles here.
The entire state of Florida only has one, and the state of New York doesn't have any.
The entire state of California only has two.

See ya,
Aaron.

Here is the info hot linked.

Here's a link to the Outers page: http://www.outers-guncare.com/
click on "gun care" and then on "Foul-out Bore Cleaners"

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
300 weatherby mag Mr Rush, nice choice, maybe some day. I can't knock the expensive guns too much since I'm shooting a Benelli Super Black Eagle (very awesome gun), but I have to ask you, where the hell do you hunt that allows you to take a 600 yard shot!! I hunt deer with a slug here in AL (req'rd to since I hunt on a military arsenal) so I have never contemplated shooting anything over 100 yrds away. I saw a few nice 300 and 400 yrd shots in Kansas, but 600 yards! I mostly bow hunt now and it's always nice to see another jeeper/hunter. Will be deer hunting in Maine this winter, can't wait!

I saw the old YJ Yuppie slam earlier, there's a name caller in every crowd! Expected a Marine in the profile, but Air Force is also understandable. GO ARMY!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
T.R. Would know this waaaay better than me but I have read that you can even
pull the steel out of your barrel with that thing and ruin your bore. It is not
a put it on and leave it kind of thing. It will also pull the rust out of your barrel if there is any under the fowling. I think it would be a great machine
I just have not bought one yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Relax Bullet Sponge, I was just defending myself for the "thrifty" remark. No blood, no foul, all in good fun. I apreciate the helpful comments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaron,

Just for curosity, what weight bullet are you lobbing out to 6-700 yards?
Thanks.

Booger

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
*dmsCJ7* said,
*Relax Bullet Sponge...*

You really don't know, do you...

Booger asked about bullets,

In the 7mm-08
160 to 170 gr. boat tail match for targets,
120 to 145 gr. spitzer for plinking and ground hogs,
175 to 180 gr. soft point for antelopes or such,
(Generally the same rules for the 30.06 in DBR matches, but with less powder...)

I still use the mag primers, and I have a tendency to mix powders, although I know I shouldn't...
----------------------------------

If I'm only going 500 to 800 with the .300,
165 to 180 gr. spitzer for general use, at 3,100 or 3,200 fps.

200 gr. Speer out to about 1,000 yards, at 3,000 to 3,100 fps.

Johnson Custom shop 220 and 240 gr. boat tail or FMJ for L-O-N-G range work.
I have a free bored, open chambered barrel for really long work, and using that, I can get 3,600 FPS and still not get over 55,000 CUP with a 220 gr bullet.
That gives me about 1,200 yards with less than 24 inches variation with humidity or temperature, and at around 80 degrees, I'm less than a foot variation.

With long loads and free bored barrel, I can get 3,900 FPS with a 220 Gr. bullet, but the CUP is up around 60,000.
(that should reach out to about 1,750 yards with no problem, but I haven't been to a range where I can zero that far yet, and I'd need a new shoulder when I was done)
I'm kind of leery of doing that too often, too much chamber pressure...

I still get up to Camp Attabury once in a while, and they have a 1,500 yard range. I never get enough time there to nail down a load though... I can't pull out a good workable load in two or three hours.
-------------------------------

Leo Jurris is right here in town for me, and his custom turned bronze missiles work pretty well also.
I have two of his fluted, ported, cryo cooled barrels, and they work REALLY well also, but not cheap at all...
(I bought one, and won one a week later. Don't it figure...)

My Weatherby is a pre 63, Big game frame with a custom barrel, so I can get away with a lot.
It has a bench stock, so at 38 lbs., it's impossible to shoot off hand now. It's strictly a long range tack driver.
It still has the mechanical trigger (Albert custom).
Our local long range club doesn't allow anything larger than .375, no automatic or remote triggers, Three points on the rifle, $100 a head, and no spectators.
Makes for a really competitive crowd, and the only weeniers that show up more than once are the SWAT guys. (NONE of them can hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle...)

If you are in the area sometime we can always go to the river bottoms and kill some viscous beer cans or attacking paper plates with .22's.
I love my .22!
Doesn't break my shoulder, eardrums or budget! Even my girlfriend gets in on that action!!

Later all,
Aaron.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
*v8jeep* asked,
*...but I have to ask you, where the hell do you hunt that allows you to take a 600 yard shot!!*

I used to go out to Montana once in a while, but I don't hunt much anymore.
I don't need the meat, and I kind of lost my taste for killing as I got older.

My back is messed up, and I was a tactical sniper 'advisor' for just short of three years in Central America, from 79 to 81. (you know what was happening in El Salvador about then?)
I pretty much had my fill of 'Hunting' during my military years.

I hunted, fished and trapped as a kid growing up in the country, and I've always been a pretty good shot, so the military took advantage of my abilities.
I went in to be a wheel vehicle mechanic (imagine that!).
I hit 40 out of 40 in basic training about three times in a row, and the next thing I knew they had papers for me to sign... The rest, as they say, is history.

We used .308's and .300 Winchester mags, but my Weatherby is 15 to 20% stronger than the Winchester .300, so I like it better.
It wasn't expensive for me, I won it off a smart ass marine officer at the base range one day. Some rifle instructor he was! He had a Weatherby .300 Mag, with real Weatherby scope, and I was shooting a worn out M-14 with open sights...
The guy should have stayed sober...
He tried to buy it off of me for three months until I ETS'ed, said it belonged to his now deceased dad, but he could smooch my pooper, I HAD A REAL WEATHERBY BY GOD!!
---------------------------------

*I saw the old YJ Yuppie slam earlier, there's a name caller in every crowd! Expected a Marine in the profile, but Air Force is also understandable.*

I didn't bother looking at his profile, wasn't worth my time.
He's not even a blip on my radar.
As one of the low crawlers pointed out here a while back, it's not worth my time or effort to try and make him grow up...
It's not my job to raise him...
----------------------------------

*GO ARMY!*

I was regular US ARMY for six years.
One in training, Three in Central America, and two attached to the 3/33 air cav. (air assault).
We come tear assing in on the air assault gun ships to make the country safe for marines,... the ones that don't shoot them selves anyway... Self propelled sand bags...
We bring in the artillery and the armor.
We made it safe for the women and 'fancy' boys in the air farce to land...
We made it safe for the bath tub boys to try and find shore...
We don't ask for medals like the 'fancy' boys (don't ask, don't tell...) and the jar heads...

We do the job, take care of business, clean up all the messes made by the 'other military branches', and go home... Just another day in the life of real soldiers...
Don't join the Army if you are a glory hound or 'fancy' boy that likes the village people...

See ya folks, past my bed time,
Aaron.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aaron,

There's nothing sweeter than the smell of burnt nitro cellulose FIRST thing in the mornin over coffee /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. My last rifle I bought in 91 is larger than a 375 so I couldn't compete in your matches with that but I have several others that would suffice. I occasionally get out to Iowa, have some friends that own over 10,000 acres and we set up quite a range to "Plink" on. I also like .22's, are you anywhere near Iowa? Can't shoot where I live LONG range unless I go to Quantico and use the range there. Anyway I'm startin to ramble, later, thanks again.

Booger

If a dog has no tail, how can you tell he's glad to see you?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
The .375 limit was imposed to stop the .50 BAR guys.
They can't hit anything, but they take a ton of time, and they are LOUD!
So loud it gives me brain damage, and I'm used to a .300 Weatherby!

Spent some time in Quantico my self back in 78-79. Probably wasn't at the same place you are though.
Took some of my 'Advisor' training there.
It was mostly class room stuff, nothing like jungle training or jump school.

I'm in southern Indiana now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aaron
i didn't know you ex army. I fly little birds in the 2nd ACR and my neighbor was an SF Team Leader in Korea. I mostly bow hunt and bird hunt now. Strange the similarities between everyone here. It goes well beyond jeeps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I happen to own one of those units, And the things only use 3 volts at a rate of several milliamps.I've had the thing for four years and still haven't had to change the two AA batteries. With that in mind , i don't think you are going to 'choke down' an auto battery charger enough to do what you want. Even if you could , it would likely short out

Gorgeous George
Scrape the rust,put on some primer, let's go to the beach/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
v8Jeep:

Welcome to Maine! Glad to hear you like hunting, maybe we can get together some time. I hunt with a firearm and bow (recurve & compound), and am also an instructor for both. There's a 1,000 yard range in Warren, where I grew up, in the midcoast area. Laws are changing, allowing more deer, especially if you bowhunt. In 2002 there is supposed to be a bow season on Moose as well.

Army stories, brings back memories.

I was in the regular Army for 2 years before I went to the South Hudson Institute of Technology (get it?), and I decided to try out for the rifle team, growing up with shooting all the time. The tryouts consisted of shooting at a target 50' away with a .22 rifle, standing freehand, and getting all 3 shots to connect so they could be covered with a dime. I shot and all three connected, no problem. So the instructor (retired 1st SGT), asked if I had ever used Feinwerkbau (sp?) or Anchutz rifles. I told him no, so he asked where I learned to shoot and what I used. I told him I used to routinely shoot at expended 12 ga shell ends with a Ruger 10-22. Skeptical, he had me shoot again, so I did it again, made the team, no problem. I was also designated "shooter" for the Sandhurst Military competition, everyone gave me their ammo and I had to shoot the targets, never missed a shot. Never done anything over 300 yards though, sounds like fun.

I'm also interested in hearing about the cleaning aparatus, I have a nice 350 Remington Mag that sounds like it would benefit.

It's nice to hear about stuff other than just jeeps once and a while. I know this is off-topic, but it lends a little more insight into the workings of the jeeper's mind. Surprising how alike we all are. And Ed, looking forward to some jeeping and hunting, plenty of both up here.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
George, thanks for answering my question.

Aaron,

raise me?

“We made it safe for the women and 'fancy' boys in the air farce to land...
We made it safe for the bath tub boys to try and find shore...
We don't ask for medals like the 'fancy' boys (don't ask, don't tell...) and the jar heads...
We do the job, take care of business, clean up all the messes made by the 'other military branches', and go home... Just another day in the life of real soldiers...
Don't join the Army if you are a glory hound or 'fancy' boy that likes the village people...”

Get the hell off your high horse. Your knowledge on many subjects is very appreciated here, leave it at that.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Thanks....

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about... On all subjects I speak of...
(I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what's going on)

And I do intend on leaving it at that.

PERIOD.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.