Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '85 CJ-7 recently had both the Temp &fuel gauges go bad on me. Today, I put a tester on the connections at the back of the guage cluster, figuring I had to track down a bad ground someplace, but instead, the needle "pulsed"! Regularly, the voltage was pulsating. What would cause that??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is a voltage regulator built inside one of the guages,(fuel I believe) that pulsates the voltage. This is normal, and shows it's working. The guages ground through the case. Don't switch the wires around on the back of the guages, or they will be damaged. The pink wire is from the fuel tank, the purple wire is from the temp sender, the red wire is ignition power feed, and there is a strap from one guage to the other to feed pulsed power from the voltage regulator built into the guage to the other one. If you touch a groung wire to the sender terminals, the guage should read full sweep. Hope this helps, good luck.

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif The Jaffer has the Jeep CJ gauge thing totally nailed down./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Go to that site and your troubles are over./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.