Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Just got my Jeep back out of the shop after a long stay getting a new motor. The spring packs sound like they are rusty in the middle of them(I bet all Jeeps are rusty inside there) but my question is: Is there and special lubricant to put in there? Oil, grease, lithium, graphite? Or does it even matter?
Just trying to quiet down some springs,
SandSpyder

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is it really that loud? Driving should eliminate the problem however a trick I use to quiet squeeky parts is to use Motorcycle chain lube (PJ1). The stuff is very slippery and will stay where you squirt it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people actually take them apart and grease them, but the problem I have with this is the dirt that will be collected by the grease.
Seems to me the best fix would be to take them apart, clean the rust off with a wire wheel and repaint them.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could also try applying a graphite lubricant in between the springs. This will not only lubricate them, but also isn't a liquid based product, thus eliminating dirt and mud from sticking to it when you're out and about. I"ve heard WD-40 works in a similar manner as well due to the fact that it lubricates, and then evaporates quickly. Never used it myself, but have heard it works. I would stay away from a liquid based grease however simply for the fact that it will collect dirt and other debris you really don't want in between your spring packs. Just my $.02!

1976 CJ-7
258ci, T18, Dana 20
6" Lift, Dana 44 Front & Rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used lithium in mine and it does tend to collect dirt, once that gets in there it will probably wear on the springs, not a big deal in my case cause I have them out so often I just re-grease them, the hot ticket to me would be to drill the ends of the springs for grease nipples and include them in your after wheeling lube job, that way dirt and such will be moved back out of the springs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried all the greases, oils products, etc. to quiet my spring packs with very limited success. Then I tried 'Slip Plate', a dry graphite paint like product that is an industrial lubricant used on conveyor tracks, farming equipment, etc. This stuff works GREAT! I spent a day taking my springs off the jeep and taking them apart. A quick wire brushing and cleaning is all the prep that is needed. This stuff comes in a spray can and dries very quickly. I needed one can for each spring. Total investment was about $20.00 and a days work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you find that stuff? Can you get it at places like Tractor Supply?

90 YJ "Mangler" 6" of lift, 33's, Lock Right in the rear

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dry graphite would be my second choice, however, I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others. Based on what I have read and seen from everyone else, the following seems to be the best way to go.

1. Take apart and clean the spring packs.
2. Using a fine grit grinder/sander, smooth out the ends of each leaf.
3. Remove any sharp edges. Note, tapering the ends just a little will make the spring a 'little' softer. Don't take off much, otherwise you loose a little bit of lift.
4. Repaint with a good hard paint.
5. Install teflone pads on the ends of each leaf. This is where most of the rubbing is, and friction. If you can't find the pads then use the graphite.

I will be doing the above very soon. I also have an idea that I am going to try that will improve the lubercation on the main leaf bushing. Greasable bolts on these bushings are worthless.

I'll take pictures and let u know how it turns out.

John..84CJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're right-SlipPlate rocks! I used it on the rear springs of my XJ and I love it. I got mine from the Case dealer-a quart can was around $20 CDN (give or take $5?)

Jason Hansen
My Home Page

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.