Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I buy the greasable bolts somewhere? I am going to get my shackles cut at work,I am going to use 304 ss steel and make them to accept a tow bar.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
you can buy the greasable bolts from currie i beilieve. but one thing that helps them work.. is that the poly bushings have grooves cut into them... for the grease to sit... without that you wont be putting much grease in a decent working inviroment..
ps.. you might have to call them.. and ask for them.. like the ole.. mine bent or something.. can i get a replacement.. and they should sell them to you.. i had currie shackles before.. and bent the shackle, on the rubicon, and they sold me just the side pieces.. they were cool about it.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Four Wheel Drive Hardware has them (made by Daystar) and they come with the grooved bushings! $40 for front or rear (sets I assume) shackle bolts/bushings, and $45 (edited price) for front or rear main spring eye bolts/bushings. Would cost you $170 (edited price) total for both ends of all four springs. Check out their web page and get a free catalog http://www.4wd.com. I like the 304 SS idea. How thick were you planning on going? I could whip a set out on the Laser pretty quick. I might make a stock length set to assemble the Jeep, then measure it and figure out how much higher I'd have to go on one end to level it out!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
This may be a stupid question - but here goes.
Why can't you just tap and thread a zirt fitting in the spring and hanger? Why spend $160 for bolts with zirt fittings? If all you want to do is get grease around the shackle bolts, what's wrong with tapping thru the spring loop?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
4Wheel Parts sells them also, much cheaper than 4wd hardware, $49.95 for the front or rear (4 bolts each with bushings)
I am also building my own shackles with 3/8"x2" steel (no SS for my poor blood!) and am going to look into having some
grade 8 bolts machined into and fitted with a zirt fitting on the end, not sure how to get the groves into the bushings though,
have never seen one with the groves in it.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Big Ed, jsut a note. From 4WD Hardware you get four shackle bolts with bushings for $40. The extra $45 per end (front or rear springs) is for the main spring eye bolts/bushings (the end that hard mounts to the frame...not the shackle end). Sorry if I was unclear about this./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Atilla, If you tap the spring loop, you will just get grease between the spring and the bushing. Not the bushing and the bolt like you need. I'm not sure, but I don't think you want the bushing to move inside the spring. Please correct me If I'm wrong.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Thanx smokngun.
Next ?. Could this be the reason my shackles squeak and growl when wet - no lube?

G

·
You also need to drill the inner sleeve otherwise grease can't get from the drilled bolt to the fluted bushings.

FWIW, I asked about greasable shackles/bolts/bushings on another board and got a few responses saying that they don't help much - at least not with squeaking. Your mileage may vary. I'm considering going back to rubber bushings because I feel the whole greasable thang is too expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.