Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, first off, hello all. I just bought a 1988 Jeep Wrangler three nights ago. I am curious what kind of stuff I should get for it. Do you guys have any suggestions? Just to let you know it is a 6 Cylinder, not sure if it is 4.0 or 4.2 liter, anyone know how to find out? Also, I live in Washington, little south of Seattle, are there any places to off road around here? Thanks a lot!!

· Registered
406 Posts
Welcome. If you ever have any questions about your jeep, this is the place to get them answered. Please fill out your profile...

If your 88 is stock it will have the 4.2 in it. What does your jeeps have on it? Any mods already? If you notic "flat spots" in the power band, or spitting and sputtering at idel, i would suggest doing the nutter bypass and get rid of that mess of vaccum lines. For compleat info go to shortwheelbase.com->tech section->electrical->nutter bypass.

I plan on putting the 4.0 head on my 4.2 with the FI in the future. From what i hear, this makes a dramatic improvment in the overall preformance.

Do a search about certian litfts and tires. And above all, do not get chrome to make you jeep shiny. Stay with this BBS and you will learn real quick what is good and bad in the overall jeepers eyes...

· Registered
958 Posts
howdy mm253. welcome to the BBS
it helps if you fill out you profile ( especially the vehicle description). Do you have an auto or a stick?

is it stock?

and it is easy to tell a 258 from a 4.0. the 4.2 uses a carburetor ( unless it is modified).

· Registered
1,704 Posts
You leave a lot open mm253. Besides what your Jeep already has, what kind of wheelin' are you planning on? Daily driver with light trailrunning? Rock Crawling? Mudding? I've been setting my rig up as a trail/mud rig that is highway legal and comfortable (in so much as a CJ can BE comfortable on the highway!). There are some guys on here with some incredible rock-crawlers, and some guys that are into complete restos. Let us know what you want to do, and we can help!

I'm originally from Washington, and though my family moved to Alaska nearly 20 years ago, I remember a lot of the trails my father and I used to drive together. I was from Grays Harbor (the Wishkah valley) and we used to go up to Grizdale a lot. We also spent time around Forks, Lake Ozette and Owl Mountain. Washington is littered with old logging roads, and they make for some good trail running. A lot of mudding too. I've got a cousin who has three Suzuki Samis in that area--her mudder, her husband's mudder, and their daily driver. Her brother (another of my cousins of course) used to have a '69 GMC on 44s and later a Nissan KingKab with 38's and a Ford 302 under the hood. Lots of good wheeling in your area, best bet would to be to hook up with some folks your first time out to show you the best (and legal!) spots.

Welcome to the board!

· Registered
13,180 Posts
1. Welcome to the forum!.
2.. Fill out your profile... most of these guys don't bite.
3. Since you've had the Jeep less than a week.... don't even think about wheeling it off road yet, especially alone.
4. Hook up with a good 4X4 club in your area and make a few friends locally who know a lot about Jeeps.
5. Be prepared to debate square vrs round headlights.
6. Enjoy the Jeep while it's running.
7. Adopt the motto: If it ain't broke, improve it.
8. Buy a DVM meter and learn to use it.
9. Buy a Repair Manual.
10. If you don't know anything about mechanics take a community college course.
11. In almost ANY part of Washington State there's lots of places to go... my ol' favorite was the Natches Trail.
12. I hope (on the west side) you like mud.
13. Come over to the Right side of the State once in a while for "Fun in the Sun."
14. Contribute to the forum when and where you can. Two heads are better 'n one.

· Registered
1,800 Posts
Leve sez: #6. Enjoy the Jeep while it's running.

Damn, not only is that funny it's the TRUTH. Ha ha.... my jeep has been down since Memorial Day.... anybody have a loaner CJ5 I can borrow!!

Welcome to the forum, this is a good one. Hang out... you are sure to learn something. It's not always USEFUL, but we touch on just about any subject.

Enjoy!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LEVE 9. Buy a Repair Manual: AH HA!!! I already got that covered!

LEVE 8. Buy a DVM meter and learn to use it: Sorry to sound stupid, but what is that? I don't know much about vehicles, so, I apologize in advance!

· Registered
13,180 Posts
Speed_buggy's right... it's a Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVM, DM, DVOM, VOM, meter). These things aren't too expensive. I buy the cheapest I can find and thow one in each tool kit I've got. They do come with simple instructions, and they are not hard to use. Properly used a meter will help diagnoiss problems a lot faster than you could ever do with a continunity checker.

Mark Twain was quoted as saying: "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education..." and Will Rogers: "We are all ignorant--just on different subjects." So ask all the questions you want...because we've got the a lot of ingonrance and education concentrated in this forum. The trick is to tell the difference...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mm253 welcome to the best board on the internet, when these guys tell you to fill out your vehicle description you'll have to put it in your bio because a while back the fromat was changed and theres no longer a place for vehicle discription.

· Registered
606 Posts
Nice to hear that you have an 88, I got one back in Oct.
I've learned more then a lot on this bbs.
Since you haven't posted much up about what add-ons/ mods it has, let me give you a little you a little background.

If you've got a stock, 6cly, with a manual trans.
You've got a 4.2L Carter BBD 2 barrel carb, and a BA/10 transmissinos. Two of the most dreaded items you'll read about. That isn't ment to scare you, just give you a heads up, if you hear about a Carter BBD(or just BBD) That is what you have, it'll give you issues.
You've also got this really funky return air system, it's noticeable under your hood by all of the vaccuum lines running everywhere, and the line running to the cat. converter.

But, you have the nice feature of square headlights
You will also learn about the moon men, they steal beer and do all sorts of intersting stuff.

Welcome, and enjoy reading.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
The best thing I ever put on my Jeep was a nice set of tow hooks (for pulling out others, of course!
). You can get them cheap from almost everywhere. Hooks aren't much good without a strap, and you can get 20' 20k # rated recovery straps from Wal-Mart at a good price.

Also- High-Lift Jack, come-a-long, some sort of shovel, knife, duct-tape, silicon adhesive, JB Weld, a small automotive tool kit, multi-meter, water, oil, blinker fluid, etc., should be in the Jeep for every off-road outing. Also, I bring at least a 2-liter soda bottle per person in the vehichle.

Plan on replacing the carberator. The most popular replacements are the Rotchester 2GV (from a '65 Impala 283 V-8), Motor Craft 2100, and Weber 32/36.

When you go to do a tune-up, do the TeamRush igntion up grade (AKA TFI igntion upgrade) using Ford Cap Adapter, Cap, Rotor, TFI coil, and Jeep 4.0L spark-plug wires.

If you've got the manual transmission, I feel for ya (I had it too). Go easy on it and save up for a replacement.

Get sway-bar disconects or remove the swaybar altogether. Junk both of the trac-bars while your under there. You'll need longer brakelines (or bend the hard-lines for more length) and shocks to let the suspension really flex.

31x10.5" tires will fit on the stock rims and clear the fenders most of the time. A 1" shackle lift and/or 1" body lift will let the tires clear the fenders the rest of the time.

Welding up your front differential won't affect on-road handling in 2wd at all, but will make a world of difference off-road. This is do to the vacuum-actuated long-axle disconect system, which can be problematic at times (this is where the duct-tape comes in.)

Rocker-panel protection is cheap to build and install

Trimming the front of the fenders off and cutting the bumper shorter will allow the tires to contact stumps, rocks, ledges, etc more easily.

If you go in deep water frequently, a snorkel is cheap and easy to build, and saves a ton of money over rebuilding/replacing a hydro-locked engine.

These modifications should give you the most bang for your buck, and make the "stock" Wrangler about as capable as it can get.

If you have any questions about the things I've listed above, please use the "SEARCH" function for this forum before asking more questions. All of those things have been covered pretty extensively a dozen times or so.

Welcome to the ORC Short-Wheel-Base Jeep forum!

· Registered
914 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Of course the best thing you can have on your Jeep is round headlights.

hey, someone had to...

web

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I may offer a few suggestions regarding the carb and emmissions. Don't remove anything. Believe it or not, what you have can be made to work. Most of the equipment there is to improve drivability. Removing it will not usually help. Additionally, if WA does not have smog inspection and/or testing yet, it will in the near future. I would do the following.
1. TR upgrade on the ignition (about $100) and it's legal.
2. Rebuilt Carb. (if it's running bad)
3. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. This is one of the most common problems. Make sure the intake and exhaust manifold bolts are tight.

Next...read through all the posts in the BBS...only a few hundred thousand I believe. Almost all the questions you could ask have already been asked and aswered. You will also find plenty of humor along the way. Don't worry about any of the angry sounding posts...that's just TR and some of the others having fun. We all get along very well....right Arron?

And as pointed out above...no question is too dumb. If it is, we will be glad to tell you so.....we can always use a good laugh.......just kidding.

Have fun and start saving your money....you will need it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.