Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my vacation request in, and cabin reservations made. So it looks like I'm going. I will be driving up Wednesday, and returning Sunday and would love to caravan either way, or both.

Like we discussed in the other thread, lets make a plan for a SoCal warm up ride at the end of March (27th-28th) or early April (3rd-4th), like Andy said. Any ideas for a location? I'm up for anything.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Dave - where are you staying in Moab? How much were the cabins? I think my wife and little girl are going to stay home - so I just need a small simple place.

BTW - nice little ad inserted into your post.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm staying at the Canyonlands Campground, see the AJC page for the info. Unfortunately, the cabins are filled up, but they have tent spaces also. In fact, we will only be in a cabin Weds. and Thurs. nights. Friday and Saturday nights I have a tent space reserved.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Dave: Glad to see you bit the bullet and made some reservations. It should be fun. I got really excited when I saw the pictures on the link you posted the other day.

For the Moab trip, we're leaving Tuesday nite and driving to Las Vegas. Then we're heading out from Vegas in the morning to Moab. It would be fun to caravan the rest of the way. Depending on when everyone else leaves So Cal, I figure you'll be in Vegas by mid morning on Wednesday. That would work out quite well.

I should be up for a local trip either weekend, schedule permitting. That last Big Bear trip looked like fun if you guys are up for something like that again. If not, I'm certainly open to suggestions since I don't know anything north of San Diego county very well.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I could do the 27, 28th for sure. April would be harder for me. Jerry do you think the guys would like the Miller Jeep trail?
Big Bear sounds fun too!
I'm dying to get out in the Jeep. I bought a house this month and its taking every moment of my time to fix it up. That on top of trying to get my shop together, I think I've had enough of Non Jeepster sponsored stuff.
Dave, whats up with the Caravan link?.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That link isn't mine, the BBS is doing it automatically. Our minivan isn't even a Carav*n!

The Miller Jeep Trail looks good to me, but anything would be good. I found this pic of Jerry on that trail from a another (non-Jeepster) trip.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm getting my cage installed, and some rusty floors taken care of, so I don't know if the commando will be in action by the end of the month.

However, my lil' sister just got a TJ, and now has a huge wheelin' bug. I'm sure I could talk her into a Miller Jeep trail day trip.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's in Lockwood Valley. Up off the 5 freeway near Gorman. It's a fun trail. A little dusty in summer time but I think it will be good March/April. I'm up for anywhere you guys want to go.
Dave, wow I can't believe you found that photo! I went with a christian 4 wheel group that my friend belongs to.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Miller Trail looks like it is a little far for a day trip from San Diego. I think I'd end up spending more time on the freeway than on the trail.
Anything east or south/east of L.A. would be okay for me.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy, were pretty spread out here in SoCal, so unfortunately, somebody is going to have a long drive for a one-day trip. I can't think of any good trails that are central to us all (which would probably be in the Santa Ana Mountains somewhere). I've always wanted to go to Truckhaven Hills (west of the Salton Sea), but that would be really far for Tom and Jerry.

I am definitely up for Big Bear instead of the Miller Jeep Trail, if that is better. We could do a couple of the trails at the east end of the Lake this time (John Bull, Gold Mountain, etc.). If you wanted to come up the night before, you would be welcome to use my couch, so you don't have to do all the driving in one day. Perhaps someone closer to the Miller Jeep trail could make you a similar offer.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Dave: Don't get me wrong - I'm okay with a drive. I can get to Victorville or Lucerne Valley in about 3 hours or so. If I go through L.A. on the 5 all the way up to Gorman, I expect it will take longer - but maybe not too much longer. Thanks for the offer for a place to crash, but I'll have my 4 year old with me.

I'll also throw Los Coyotes indian reservation into the ring for consideration. That's my usual day run. Its in the mountains near Warner Springs - about 120 miles and a little over 2 hours from L.A. according to MapQuest. The wheeling is great - both easy and hard trails - and the scenery is awesome. On-site camping, too, with very limited facilities. Day fee is $10 per rig. If you haven't been there, its worth the drive.

You guys figure out what you want to do and I'll try to make it work. If I can't do it, we'll have plenty of wheeling together in Moab.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested - a big big run is sheduled for this coming weekend at Truckhaven. I think it's called the Tiera Del Sol run, sponsored by Cal4 and several other clubs. I've heard it's the biggest one in So Cal. Two clubs I run with are both going.
Truckhaven's a real blast!

And - High Desert Roundup is wanting volunteers for their event in Sept? - probably the second biggest organized event. Again, Cal4 are the folks to contact.

I've heard parts of Big Bear are closed now - the fire did quite a bit of damage, now it's flooding the last couple weeks. The greenies are behind some of the closures, they claim off roaders will ruin the regrowth! They use any excuse!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.