Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my lift last week. www.4wheelparts was having a deal, and I got the whole lift with no charge for shipping. Saved myself $80. And the kit came with everthing i am going to need. The only thing I had to get extra was a dropped pitarm. I am going to spend spring break installing the lift by myself... I can't wait. And that meas that I am looking for tires. I want to go with MTs I just havent decided yet. BFG or swamper? I have till march to decide. I can't wait. I am really excited.

91 YJ 2 inch lift new engine in the works.
"Because there is no reason not to"

·
Registered
913 Posts
Cool! What lift is this again?

I just got done installing a 6-inch lift on my wagoneer by myself(well, with a friend, If you dont have someone to help, I highly suggest you get one just to simplify the job when you are under the car tightening nuts/bolts and you need a different size wrench).
Anyway, leafs are easy to install. The only problem I had was the 4 inch lift springs in the back and the 2 inch rear lift blocks. I(stupidly) tightened up one side all the way and then when I went to get the other side tightened up, the axle alignment pin wouldnt align with the hole in the axle.. so, I had to go loosen then other side almost completely dissasembling it, bring up the opposite side of the axle(so they we're horizontally level on each side) and tight them evenly up as to keeping the pins aligned inside each hole; this is when a friend comes in handy.

Anyway, good luck! you'll have fun!

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift33BFG's on the way. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A - DOA.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally went with the 4 inch superlift. It came down to the superlift of the skyjacker, and I was just liked the superlift better. I had better luck researching superlift and I found the customer sevice found on the homepage a great help. And the fact that the kit was complete was also nice. Didn't have to shop around and find many different parts. I am looking forward to this spring, I have a lot of interesting Jeep projects going on.

91 YJ 4in lift waiting in the garage till March !

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YJAroundTheWorld
In your profile is says that you have some BFG's on the way for your YJ. Are you getting the AT's or the new MT's? I ask because I am thinking of the 33X12.5's MT's for my YJ. I would be interested in hearing why you chose them. over other choices. Thanks. And by chance do you have any pic of your Wag with the 6in Lift. I love those.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Actually I have pics of both...
I had 33" XTerrains on my Wrangler with 5 inches of lift, then I took them off and put them on my wagoneer and am either going to get more Xterrains for my wrangler or MT's.
Personally(I have run both MT's and AT's) I have AT's on my Grand CHerokee, and they are a radical tire, a true duel purpose tire. I was running some 30 inch BFG's before my springl ift on my wrangler, and they we're good offroad, but the road performance wasnt as desirable as wanted. After the purchase of my Grand CHerokee, I no longer needed the wrangler for Home to Work travel, so I decided to go with the Muds instead of Allterrains.

Here is some wrangler pics with a 4 inch leaf and 1 inch shackle lift and 33 inch Xterrains

Here is the Wagoneer with 6 inches of lift, and the same 33 inch Xterrains. That wagon is fun to drive /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
48 CJ2A - DOA.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really nice. That is one good looking Wag. There is a soft spot in my heart for those things. And that is a really nice set up with the YJ. Nice work. and thanks for the post.

G

·
YJATW...What tranny, x-case, and axles does your waggie have? I'm buying one from a junkyard and am trying to figure out which came with what components. 360, TF727, D44's F/R? Those are what I'm looking for to swap into my YJ.

Ollin18...I'm running the 33" BFG M/T's. Very popular tire for offroad use. We finally got a bunch of snow(3" is a lot for seattle!)here and they handle great. I took them through about 1 1/2 feet of snow a few weeks ago and they plowed right through it, high and low speeds. They are a great all around tire for an M/T, no matter what the road conditions are. I will be doing an SOA in about a year or so with 2.5" lift springs and putting on 35" swamper TSLs probably, but I wanna get the rest of the Jeep ready for it first this time. When I did my lift last march, I had no mods for the drivetrain at all and I wish I would have re-geared at least before I started the lift. Still haven't but oh well.

Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
I love bein' a Jeeper!!!

G

·
Ollin18, I just looked at your profile. Are you in school majoring in mechanical engineering or is that just your job? I am looking to do that next fall at University of Washington and was just wondering what the courses are like. fun, boring, what classes are involved with that field...etc.? I cheked out the UW website but it really only gives a brief discription of the couse summary. Just wondering.
Tim

'88 YJ, 4.2L w/Weber 32/36, Procomp 4" w/33 BFG M/T's, TFI upgrade, Stock auto tranny and everything else.
I love bein' a Jeeper!!!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks Olin. I got my Waggie stock for $600!! Not bad for a vehcile with front and rear Dana 44's, a 360 engine and a TF727 Tranny....can you say Hemi? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
48 CJ2A - DOA.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim, I am a student. Graduating in a couple of months. If you want to be an engineer then you need to be ready to work hard and study hard. The classes are very chalanging. It is very Math and scienc based, But it is somthing I enjoy. If I am going to pay 20K a year I want to feel like I am learning things. And I do for sure. Always challanged, and I spend a lot of time in labs and doing work. But there is always time for fun too. And if you make it through school you are looking at a pretty cool job. My roommate another Mec Eng just signed with GE and he is going to be making 50K a year starting, coming right out of school and I have friends with better offers than him. So there are payoffs for all the hard work.

G

·
Thanks Olin. I am willing to work hard in both areas. Math isn't my strongest point but I knew that this course was included in the mec. eng. major as a big part but it is also something that I want to work on so this will be a good challenge for me. What type of stuff do you do in the labs? do you work with chemicals mostly or metal and electrical etc.? Thanks a lot.
Tim

I love bein' a Jeeper!!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim, I never work with chemicals. I work a lot with metal, I am taking a welding class right now, I have done in the past a lot of work testing metals, building things, models of designs out of wood. Last sem I had a testing lab that was fun. We tested material. That means ream on it until it breaks and study it.
I got to break a lot of steal. I work a lot with pumps and pumping systems. All and all the lab work is the most fun !! I enjoy it lot. And I have pretty much free rain of the wood shop and the metal shop here at school. And that is very cool

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it from www.4wheelparts.com and the whole thing with all the pieces ended up coming to just under $700. The no shipping deal was left over from X-mas and I think that it is over now. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
859 Posts
For another $100 you can get a Rubicon Express Super duty 4.5" lift which is the best on the market...as far as flex, fit and durability...my 2 cent!

Mobdawg
1 Ton 89 YJ - "Clifford!"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts