Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 YJ that I have not been able to get started for about 2weeks now. What happened is I was off in the snow testing my new tires and got stuck. I spent about an hour trying to get out of the jam that I was in. I'll admitt I did reve it up pretty high but it never got hot. About 45 min past when I noticed that the oil presure was going down. Then all of the sudden it stalled out, so I waited for a few minutes and cranked it over again, it started right back up. After a few minutes of trying to get out of the pickle I was in it stalled out again. So I followed the same procedure as before and it started up again but then died after a few more tries of getting on stuck. After the die, it hasn't ran since.
At first I thouth that it was my ignition coil because I got power to the device and I wasn't getting anything out of it. I quikly replaced it but was struck with( as soon as I did replace it)the fact that there was really no power going to the coil at all. I thought I had made a mistake. So then i traced it back to my relay. I was getting power there just none coming out to the coil. After a week a fumbling around with it a nice guy here on this posted pointed me in the right direction to check my IOD fuse and that is what it was. After I replaced this I started getting power to my coil but it still won't start. So my problem is I'm getting power to my coil but nothing coming out. It is a brand new coil so it can't be that. Today I tried to check the crankcase sensor( the sensor on the bell housing behind the motor) what I did was first take the sensor off and clean it. While inspecting I noitced the boot was bad but the magnet was in pretty good shape. Then I tested the wires, it had only three, one lit up my test light while the other two( the middle and the other outside) did not. I also checked the sensor that is in my distibutor(crankshaft sensor) I pretty much did the same thing and got the same results when testing it's three wires. If I performed these test right and I'm not suppose to get any kind of power from any other wires than I'm stuck. Please I know this has been a journey for not only me but everyone who has helped me but I have a feeling I'm almost there, to getting this thing fixed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanx everyone

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: Got fire to coil but still wont start for a 94 YJ(please read and help)

Have you taken the cap off the disrtibutor and watched the rotor spin around as someone cranked the motor? Maybe your distrib gear is slipping, or your timing chain? A coil works VERY simple, BUT requires something to short out it's leads to discharge (i.e. the rotor lining up with a cyl contact on the cap) let me know what you find!

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is a neighbor of mine with this problem on here and we did check to see if the rotor button was turning inside the cap and it turning as well as my jeep. There's just no spark/fire leaving the new coil but power getting in it. I'm clueless with it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Do I understand this correctly?

There is spark from the coil, but it stops at: (The problem is you don't know)...
The rotor is turning, but the engine: is or is not: turning over?

If the engine turns over, is it just not catching? Did any part of the engine get wet? My money is still with a cracked distibutor (the part that enters the block, not the cap)... Though... if it's coming from the coil... ???? I'd take it in, distributors can cost about $300.00 from a parts store... Is it still under
warranty?

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Take a voltmeter and measure the voltage on the pos and neg terminals of the coil. While cranking, you should have about 12VDC on the pos terminal. On the negative you should have no more than about 6 volts....if I remember correctly, it should be about 4. Without getting too technical, the neg terminal is connected to a solidstate switch (transistor) in the ignition module. (I am assuming that you have fuel injection). With a fast voltmeter you should see the neg terminal pulsing...this is the fire signal for the coil. If you can't see it with the DVM, try an o-scope...and if you don't have an o-scope, use the old style DVM with an actual meter...you should see the needle pulse. If you don't get any pulsing..then the problem is before the coil.

If thats the case...spend the bucks and buy a good manual and then take it one step at a time. It helps if you can find another jeep (same year) to compare against. Be cognizant of the fact that many parts of your engine are close loop systems, i.e., one part can fail but it makes other parts look like they are dead too.

Let us know what you find...

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah the engine turns over but there's no spark from the coil. I'm well out of warranty now so that's not an option. The engine never got wet either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ya the moter turns over. I know the postive side of the two wires going to it has power but I haven't got a volt meter yet to to check the negitive side. I did take the distibuter off and the shaft is turning. My dad told me that I could have broke the timing chain or belt which one it has on it but I don't know how to check it. I was in the snow and I was kicking the snow up alot but it couldn't have gotten to wet could it. Alright thanx everyone for all your help and please post if you have anymore helpful hints.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

If you're really fed up with it you could always take a match and a gallon of gas and call the insurance company.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If the dist is rotating then its not a broke timming chain. The dist is driven off the cam which in turn is turned by the timming chain.

Taking into account how it failed, my first guess is the ign. module or some related device. Without a voltmeter, its almost impossible to troubleshoot unless you want to try the shotgun approach....i.e., keep replacing parts until it works.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
856 Posts

Did I miss something....I don't know about all this computer junk in these new vehicles but the primitive way to do it is pull out a spark plug ,stick it in the wire ,ground it ,and have someone crank the engine ,see if there is any spark jumping the gap, don't hold it with your hands use insulated pliers.if there is spark it has to be fuel system,if no spark it must be between the plug wire and the coil where you have power.maybe you burned something out inside the distributer itself magnetic Pick up or something.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

·
Registered
5,526 Posts

I think the easier way to test for spark at your plugs is to just hook up an inductive timing light to a wire, and crank the engine and see if it flashes. If it does, you've at least got some fire going to the plugs... Unfortuneately this method won't tell you how hot the spark is...

Tim
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.