Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodyear Wrangler M/T\'s

Has anyone out there run a set of Goodyear M/T's? I've just finished turning my Swamper TSL's into slicks and was looking for a new tire that was both good on Rocks,Mud and Street since I can't afford two sets. The Swampers I loved but they didn't even last me a year, and I'll shoot myself in the head if I were to ever go back to BFG's (NOT)! I also like these new Mickey T - Baja Claws but the 35x13.50's are too far away and too long of a wait. So if anyone has some input on the M/t's it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chris James
"Go Solid or Go Home"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Goodyear Wrangler M/T\'s

Chris, I replaced the tires on my D21 last March and one of the tires I was considering was the Goodyear MT. (I live in Ut. and see loads of them on the rigs down in Moab.... they must have something going for them) From talking to people their biggest complaint was the streangth of the side wall along with the fact that the compound they were made of was a little on the soft side so tire life would be of concern. People who used thier vehicals primarily for off road tended to give them better marks as they are very flexable and the softer compound gave them exceptional grip. Not one person I talked to commented on how their preformance was in the mud. As for my .02 worth I ended up getting the Bridgestone MTs ( I was replacing Bridgestone ATs) and have been very happy with them. If you havnt already seen it there is a very good write up on these tires on the Off-Road.com site in the product evaulation section. Believe it is in the Feb.99 issue. I wont get into it here but if you are interested I will be glad to give you my impressions of them, just let me know. BTW, I think you are the first person that I have heard who hasnt sworn up one side of BFGs and then down the other. From the way people talk you would think that if you burned rubber with them the smoke wouldnt stink. (seriously, I have heard they are excellent tires and like the fact that the side wall is 3-ply.... but, have never had any trouble with the 2-ply in the B-stones) Hope you find some info you can use, what size are you looking into?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Chris, I replaced the tires on my D21 last March and one of the tires I was considering was the Goodyear MT. (I live in Ut. and see loads of them on the rigs down in Moab.... they must have something going for them) From talking to people their biggest complaint was the streangth of the side wall along with the fact that the compound they were made of was a little on the soft side so tire life would be of concern. People who used thier vehicals primarily for off road tended to give them better marks as they are very flexable and the softer compound gave them exceptional grip. Not one person I talked to commented on how their preformance was in the mud. As for my .02 worth I ended up getting the Bridgestone MTs ( I was replacing Bridgestone ATs) and have been very happy with them. If you havnt already seen it there is a very good write up on these tires on the Off-Road.com site in the product evaulation section. Believe it is in the Feb.99 issue. I wont get into it here but if you are interested I will be glad to give you my impressions of them, just let me know. BTW, I think you are the first person that I have heard who hasnt sworn up one side of BFGs and then down the other. From the way people talk you would think that if you burned rubber with them the smoke wouldnt stink. (seriously, I have heard they are excellent tires and like the fact that the side wall is 3-ply.... but, have never had any trouble with the 2-ply in the B-stones) Hope you find some info you can use.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks man! I also have seen loads of guy's in the magazines running them so I figured I'd give'em a try? It's funny, and I think your right that everyone's perception is that BFG mudders are the cats ass. The 3ply sidewalls sucked me in too, until a friend of mine showed me that the walls are thinner than the ones used in 2ply so in reality there the same thickness. The other beef I have is they have to be one of the most impossible tires to balance because they are oval and not as true as most other tires. i didn't find that they were all that great for wheeling either??? But to each his own I guess???
Talk-atcha-later & thanks again!

Chris James
"Go Solid or Go Home"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Chris, You are welcome, sorry for the double post (Damn machines!) had an error and said it couldnt post, but guess it did anyway. Try to check out that artical on the Bridgestones and let me know what you think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: NEW Goodyear Wrangler M/T\'s

Before you spend the bucks, check out the next generation of Goodyear MT's. http://www.[censored].com/toc/am4x44umain.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I got censored. It should be [censored] where the censored comment is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have seen them, and have been reading lots about them thanks! The only problem is getting them here and also the 35" won't be available for a while yet at least until November after the SEMA show down in Vegas?
Thanks for the info!

Chris James
"Go Solid or Go Home"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts