Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good way to clean up some of the gunk from and old engine, i'd like to give my 258 a new cleaning job its at 108K any ideas, how is that 5 minute engine cleaner stuff any good or a bad idea?
thanks

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With that many miles, there is not a lot that will help without doing a total engine rebuild....and to be honest, unless you have a stuck lifter, there is no real need to put anything into the engine other than a good quality detergent motor oil and change the filter at the same time.

However, if you really want to clean it up a little, you can pour a pint of Berrimans (spelling) into the crank case and drive it for about 20 miles. That will clean out some of the sludge. Make sure you change your oil afterwards. You can also pour in a can of trasmission fluid. It will do a good job of loosening up lifters...provided they are not already shot.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I inherited an 81 CJ7 that had sat outside and not moved an inch in over 9 years. To clean out the "inside," I drained the oil and put in 1 quart of diesel along with the oil and let it idle 10 minutes. I then changed the filter, drained and did it 2 more times. I then did an oil and filter change at 50 miles and again at 200 miles. I've since put over 2000 miles on it with no problems.

· Registered
445 Posts
Not sure where but I read you can clean the internals by using the hose for the PCV valve to suck up about 4 ounces of ATF into the engine. It is supposed to break up the sludge and carbon. I haven't done this yet but may try it. Anyone out there heard of this? Good, bad?
rich
77cj7304qtracth400, 31" Mudkings

fratt

· Registered
1,929 Posts
I have heard the ATF trick also. It was on a Diesel board I frequent. Not sure if it will work the same on a gas engine. I believe on the diesel board that they were adding it to their fuel. You could do a search for ATF or something similar.

DON'T ADD ATF TO YOUR FUEL! Here is why:
http://www.dieselpage.com/art0898ua.htm
Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI

· Registered
4,675 Posts
block the radiator, run it it until its really hot ( but not over 200 degrees)
then drain the oil immediatly
dont make any short trips in it, give the engine time to get hot everytime you crank it
refill and drive, heat will clean the sludge out better than anything else..

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a Jeep T18a CJ or truck!!

· Registered
2,062 Posts
ATF is okay drawn in through the PCV hose......it combusts cleanly and absolutely cleans every combustion surface that it comes in contact with. It also creates a smoke screen that the military would be envious of. 4 oz.?...heck run a long hose into the passenger compartment and go down the highway on an 'accell/decell' cycle and suck in a quart or two. ....as the link suggested ....you probably are violating some emissions standard....but can feel fairly confident that you're not doing any damage to your engine.....even to the O2 sensor .....ATF leaves NO residue. This is only good for cleaning the combustion surfaces used in this manner. ATF added to the crank case for a few days before an oil change is good for cleaning up the internal oil passages. The "kero in a can w/instructions" motor flush works as well. One technique that I've never done ...but heard of good success with is one where you drain the crankcase......fill with 50/50 ATF and diesel fuel ........vary idle speeds for 15 min (absolutely NO LOAD on the motor).....drain and refill. One member of another board did this (allegedly) at another members suggestion and reported NO ill effects......and good results.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kero in a can w/instructions" motor flush. Would add noway drive or load your engin with this stuff in it. ATF will unstick a lifter in just a few miles .
Good stuff for cleaning a motor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so is everyone agreeing on ATF? now how much should i put in right before and oil change and should i use regualar or synthetic?
thanks guys

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn

· Registered
2,062 Posts
I agree with gregg......a qt. of ATF would be the most that I'd put in if you're driving it. The mileage seems to vary a little person to person since this is not an "approved" service proceedure (however some old GM service bullitens allegedly did recomend it). I haven't had to do this in several years (over 20 actually) due to a fairly long run of new or newer vehicles but when I did I waited until I was a quart down and almost due for an oil change. I'd add it ......drive the car until the weekend (1-5 days)....and change the oil. I had my son do it to his POS rusty 83 Bronco beater......he used the "kero in a can" w/instructions just before the change and then did a couple of short oil changes before going to synthetic.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
I drove through a river to pull out a stuck Yoda and due to a leaking front mail seal got water in my oil. I drained all the oil out of the engine and changed the filter, then filled the engine to the top with diesel fuel. I let this sit for a little while and then pulled the coil wire and cranked on the engine a bit, put the wire back on and started the engine and let it run for about 10-15 minutes at idle. Then I let it sit all night, and the next day idled the engine for another 10-15 minutes and drained it and changed the oil-filter, refilled with 5 quarts oil and 1 quart ATF and let run for 30 minutes, drained and changed the oil-filter and finally put on the last filter and filled with 5-quarts oil and 1 quart ATF. (you must remember I was trying to remove all the watery oil as well as cleaning out the engine, you wouldn't have to do ALL this) Since these 4.2L engines require 6 quarts of lubricant, I run 5 quarts oil and 1 quart ATF. Sometimes 4 quarts oil and 2 quarts ATF if something is sticking or I'm down to my last gallon jug of oil. You can pour ATF into the fuel-tank and run it to clean the combustion chambers with only a ton of smoke resulting? I think I'll leave that job to some gas-additive carb cleaner. My engine runs just fine, but has been leaking around that front main seal again...back to the shop!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad had seen that GM service bulliten . I think he told me that it said
to add 1 cup of ATF every oil change. This would of been 20 yr ago [how time flys]. Even some of the new chevy had a little liffter sticking.In 67 Dad & Mom
had a new Buck that would have sticky lifters and Dad ran stuff called C-3.
I feel better with the ATF .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.