Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeg's has MSD6a igniton boxes for $131....is this a good price, or about normal?

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Just about normal...

So many cats, so few recipes...

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The best price I have seen is when partsamerica.com has their 25% off sale. They sometimes carry the MSD6 Off Road for $169 - $40(25%), it was about $125, no tax, no shipping, and it was in stock at one of my local Cragens. The manager about [censored] when I showed up to pick up my MSD box for $125, when they were selling it for $225. I used to call the local Cragens, and see if they had the parts I needed, then order them on line for 25% off(+ no tax), then wait 15 minutes and go down and pick up my parts.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Jeff, explain that so even I can understand it.... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif....
I'd like to stock up on $125 Off Road units!!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jeff, maybe I'm missing something, but how are you getting the MSD 6 from partsamerica for that price? I just looked at their site, and they're selling it for $229.
I'm thinking about buying one, and it would happen a lot sooner if I could find it for $125 /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

-Derek Schwab
'97 Sidekick Sport
'83 CJ-7

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Check-out the Crane products too. I've had nothing but failures from MSD. One cost me a motor when the rev-limiter failed. I now run a Crane HI-6 and PS-92 coil, I couldn't be happier with it.

Chevota

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
MSD doesn't make anything for motors that I know of.

They do make very fine Internal Combustion ENGINE products.

Crane is somewhat better than some of the ignition systems, but it still can't hold a candle to MSD.

I've never seen an MSD failure on the Rev limiter, I'd be interested to know what when wrong...
Did you have the remote limiter or the built in limiter, and exactly what do you mean by it cost you a 'Motor'...?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sorry, but I gotta respectfully disagree with you on that one man. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least 7 carbed CJ's that I run with regularly and all of them are sporting MSD ignition equipment (MSD 6A, 6 Digital, Offroad, coils, wires, distributors, you name it).

We've never had any significant (i.e. non-self induced) problems out of them, and customer service is top notch.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Yup, that's what we call, 'Idiot Kills', and MSD warranties all of them with a smile!
I can honestly say I haven't seen a bad module in the last 15 years, all of them have been 'Idiot Kills'...
That's why I was wondering what when wrong with his rev limiter, and if it is something I should be watching out for when I buy used ones all the time...

MSD warranties modules that are 10 years old and I bought used at flea markets and swap meets!
They even pay shipping, and tell you what the previous owner did wrong!
I just can't say enough nice things about MSD, and it's about the only company I've ever seen that actually lives up to it's word about warranties!
Nothing like paying $25 for a module, paying $6 for shipping to El Paso, and getting all completely update internals in the module, plus they pay shipping back!

I've had some problems with Crane, and when you are out of the 90 day, or one year warranty (depends on what you buy) you might as well be from the Moon and speaking Martian...
You are getting NOTHING!
The tech line guys at Crane could use some manners and some training...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dang Aaron, you're either on the vampire schedule, or you're going out for that early worm.

We've never manager to KILL one (and we TRIED hard), mainly just dealing with the confusion of old spaghetti-hackjob-wiring, when trying to simplify to the MSD setup,

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I know they work because people buy them, but I have bought 5 MSD products and all of them failed or didn't work right out of the box. The first was a 6AL, right out of the box the mag pick-up input didn't work, I had to use the points wire. After about 3 months it just died while driving down the road, stranded/tow truck etc. Sent it back and 6 weeks later I get it back with a "sorry, it's fixed now". A while later I lost a motor that sang an ugly tune past the rev-limiter. I sold that unit to jeep owner as a 6A unit. Then I buy a Crane HI-6, much nicer rev-limiter function, and no spendy chips buy, more functions and more power.
Then I buy an MSD timing adjuster, it failed, got a new one it's still on the shelf. Then I decided to try their new timing computer, half the reason I bought it was for the 20degree start retard function. The retard didn't work... Summit sends me a new one and it doesn't retard either. I still have it in my truck because I like the timing control, but I feel I was ripped off.

The MSD wires burned and pulled out easy. After the third set I saw Summit has a spiral core brand out and I've been running those for years.

Does anyone know if the Holley EFI 4Di computer is made by Autotronics? Because I had to send it back too.

I know you guys will have better luck than I did, worse luck is not possible. I guess I'm just jinxed and can't use their product.

Chevota

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
TeamRush:

He he, my ENGINE was lost due to an exhaust valve returning to it original configuration; two pieces! That in turn left my motor in many pieces. That was like 10 years ago, I had that hole, oops.. cylinder sleeved and I'm still using that block. It also cost me a nice ported head.

Built-in, MSD 6-AL. MSD techs asked me a bunch of questions and said the unit was fine and sent it back to me. I sold it anyway. However, I did notice one thing, ever since then they advertise that their 6-AL is not to be use with solid core wires. Which is what I had.
Now when I first got, oops purchased the 6-AL I tested it using the smaller chips and it always worked fine. But the one time I really needed it, it completely failed.

Chevota

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I dug through my receipts. The price I got on the MSD Off Road through partsamerica.com was 25% off of thier then price of ??? which brought it down to $169.00 no tax, or delivery fee.

Jeff
89 YJ
(sensibly altered for occasional off road use)
Vision without Action, is a Daydream. Action without Vision is a Nightmare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts