Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to purchase a new TJ soon. What's a good price over dealer invoice? MSRP isn't what you wanna pay, correct? Thanks for the advice guys!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm currently dealing with a dealer that I got from the 'web', at www.stoneage.com/auto/
We have cut a deal on a new 2000 TJ, at invoice plus 350. And, it is special order. I'm in the LA area, in case you want more.

bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, dealer invoice price is total B.S. The dealer almost never pays invoice for a vehicle. In California it's been a law for a number
of years that dealers can't advertise "dealer invoice". Just shop around in your area and bargain for the best price. You can also get
pricing on new vehicles on the web. Try taking these prices to the dealer for added leverage.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is my .02,the dealer has a holdback about 3-5Þpending on the car and the number of car the dealer moves.(This
is all on paper because they do not pay for a car till the sell it - kinda like renting it to sell) So if the car is there a
long time i.e.1999it cost more for them to sale than a 200they had for a week. Most dealers I have work with, if you know your
#'s will drop to invoice or under. If all else fails join a place like the price club (costso), they work with dealers
and will give you $100over invoice with out even asking? Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
See my post to samjeep under subject "help with TJ purchase". I just posted it about an hour ago, and so far, that's the best way I've found to get the vehicle you want at the best price. Hope it helps. Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my area the dealers usually advertise a really good deal in the Sunday paper. When you get there it just so happens that it was sold. Make them honor the ad on a different vehicle, or use that as leverage. Other tactics I use are to get pre-approved from your banking agency, and don't tell them about any trade ins. What I have done in the past is determine more or less what I am going to pay by researching other dealers, get pre-approved, and figure out a fair deal for a trade in. If you tell the dealer right off the bat that you have a trade in, you will get squat for it. Make your best deal on a completely financed price, then if you value your trade in at say $5000, tell the dealer to give you the price/payment with a $5000 down payment. Once you get that figure, tell them you will do it if they give you $5000 for the trade; they will get ticked off, but will probably do the deal if you are realistic in your trade value. They will then try and make up the difference with a higher interest rate for financing; then you show them your pre-approval for a lower rate at your bank. ;) Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sam!
I just purchased a Y2K TJ Sport with D44 rear. This is the second Jeep purchased from this dealer, and I got it directly from the owner, who didn't mind showing me the "dealer list." He was more than happy to get me a '99 at cost plus $25, but the 2000s are hot items in my area. He won't let his sales people give >any< discount off the MRP. I was able to get it from him at $500 over cost. Dealer list was $20,250 and my cost was $20,750. MSRP was over $22,000.

Right Wrongs Nobody

·
Registered
484 Posts
Personally, I like Roy's approach. That's because I have no respect for car dealers, remember that they are there to make money and that is IT.
As for dealer invoice, that is the biggest bunch of crap ever foisted on the american consumer, the sick part is that they did it without lying.

Think about it,...
dealer invoice....
NOT FACTORY invoice.....

So let us sum it up...
To provide a "dealer" invoice to show the customer, the sales staff simply decide how much they are going to make off of YOU. Then they use the computer in the sales office to print out a really nice looking document that
says "dealer invoice". Now, if these dealers were to sell cars at say, $50 over FACTORY invoice, they would go out of business so fast it would make your head spin.

I would go with Roy's strategy,as well as checking publications like Consumer Reports and the like for actual factory prices to the dealers.

good hunting and don't lose nerve with the salesforce, if they won't work with you, find someone who will/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

jimbo

'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jeepnut_nh, you have no idea what you are talking about. The invoice for the same vehicle is
always the same. It is highly illegal to mess with it and I do not know of any dealerships in my area
that would risk the kind of trouble it will bring. Dealer invoice and factory invoice are the same.
BTW, what else do you buy that you can find out the retailers cost?
Gibby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first stop today I got a quote of $20,099 for a 2000 TJ. This does not include tax & licsense. The TJ Sport had the d44 rear, hardtop and ac. I know if I wanted to play games I could knock some off that price.

Man, I want one bad but here in Arizona they only seem to have them in black or yellow. Black is too hot and that Yellow color is not for me. It looks like I will have to special order one but that means late december at the earliest. Lots of people having a hard time with special order TJ's. Read the forum over at Edmunds.

Good Luck,

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That sounds about right. My TJ has other options I didn't mention which brought the price up a couple-hundred dollars. If someone thinks "dealer invoice" is jacked up, they should check the Kelley Blue Book site (WWW.KBB.COM) which shows the exact price breakdown as the dealer sheet.

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got a 2000 TJ ordered exactly to spec for $500 over invoice. I was offered that from 2 different dealers, so that is probably the going rate here in Oregon. I chose to by from the salesman I met on the Oregon Trail Jeep Jamboree because he is an enthusiast, not just a car salesman. Paul spends his spare time helping build trails or working on his "petCJ7". I'm not sure where you're located, but if it's anywhere around here, I would recommend him highly. It was really refreshing to talk to a salesman who understood what the hell a Dana44 is! Good luck, you'll love your TJ!

baggins
2K TJ

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I shopped in 4 states (AZ, NM, UT, & CO)with numerous dealers looking for the perfect 2000 model for my son. What a load of BS I had to wade through! Most of the sales persons were real deamons.
I finally found a couple of straight shooters at Denver Jeep.
John Friend and Jeff Heal, the Internet guys there were the only ones who I felt were giving me a fair shake with out lying about everything. They even offered to meet me half way to Farmington to deliver it.
I custom ordered the Sahara for $300 over invoice and got an incredable 7.24% interest rate! My son took delivery on it 6 weeks ago, I heartidly recommend the gang at Denver Jeep! Son, Joey flew in on a Friday night and they delivered it to his motel on the freeway and handed him the keys so he could get an early start back home. That's what I call service! Since then, I have recieved two follow up calls just recently from both my salesmen and Mary, their customer relations rep to see if I was still happy. I am.
Here's a pic - Forest Green, D44, Auto, AC, CD, Dual Tops, Tilt, Cruise, 30" Wheels, etc. http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Graphics/JoeysJeep.JPG

JAF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.