off stock yamaha rims? i was told oven cleaner
works.i tried it and it works but,it still leaves a
little hint of the gold color in the sunlight. i want
to get the color all the way off so i can polish them
up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought a set of stock ones from somebody. He said they were originally painted, and he just sand blasted them and polished them. They look ok. They are not currently on my bike.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard of people using a bead blaster on the rims .... doesn't scratch like sand blasters do

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are right, that would probably be a better idea.

if your not on a budget, you might just get after market rims. I had bought some ITP .190 fully polished rears from GWC for like $46. They also had more offset. They worked well, till i dented the [censored] out of one of them in the rocks.

Ive since replaced them with the ones with reinforced rings, to match the fronts.

-cleartoy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have douglas aluminum wheels on it now. but they have mx tires on them.i have the stock rims w/holeshot xc's on them for trail riding and just wanted to make them look better.i hate that gold color.thanks for the suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I DO THE SAME THING. I HAVE A SET OF DOUGLAS THAT I RUN WITH MY MX TIRES (RIKENS AND TURF TAMERS), AND I HAVE MY STOCK RIMS WITH BANDITS ALL AROUND FOR WHEN I GO OUT TO THE TRAILS. LUCKILY MINE WERE YELLOW AND I JUST HAD THEM REDONE IN BLACK POWDERCOAT. I KEEP THEM LOOKING GOOD AND DRESSED WITH A GOOD SET OF TIRES FOR THE TRAIL. I HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING FOR RIMS OUT THERE THAT CAN TAKE THE ABUSE I LIKE TO DISH OUT. I'VE NEVER RUN REINFORCED OR BEADLOCK RIMS BECAUSE OF THE COST INVOLVED. DOUGLAS .190's ARE O.K. ON THE TRACK BUT I KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING AT WITH THE STOCKERS. SO BACK TO THE QUESTION AT HAND. I WOULD SAY BEAD-BLAST OR POWDERCOAT. A THICK POWDERCOAT MEANS LESS MAINTENANCE IN THE END. . .NO POLISHING.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think i will try the bead blaster (i like the polished aluminum)if i can find someone with one. if not then i'll powdercoat them.what does something like that cost? you said that you just had yours done.
--thanks---

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
most auto repair shops have a bead blaster the price ranges but they might just charge u for the beads it is a little more costly then sand blasting but better finnish if u have a cylinder head shop in town they should definately have one of these machines

(wink)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
check your local yellow pages for shops that anidize alum. stuff. I just took three of my gold wheels down and for 20 bucks they strip the gold off of them. the shops that do the anidizing should also strip them as well. good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks i'll try that. the only thing i've been able to find was a sand blaster so far. i'll look in the yellow pages.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.