Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: going TOPLESS this summer......

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

Pretty COOL! You going to do some bracing inside yet? Make sure you do otherwise you might just crumple it up like a tin can first time you take it out and flex it- unibody.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

Thats pretty cool. I would love to do somthing like that although here in Oregon it could rain in the middle of June /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

If it ain't broke,let me drive it!
http://www.skyboom.com/Robison

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

im already in the proccess of making a subframe that will bolt in that will atleast tie in the bottom section.and the top will be a roll bar affair that will tie in the back with the windshield(kinda like a wrangler setup).once thats done,ill make a top that goes to the roll bar and then straight down to the floor right behind the seats.a half cab if you will.then ill sheet metal up the back,make an aluminum tail gate with some preferated sheetand ta da!...a pick up truck......and what you say do i call this contraption?.....it is the CHEROKEE CHIEFTON.more pics on the way...and to anyone who wants some for thier own project,just let me know and ill snap em myself for you :)..thx all paul

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
have you found someone to make the soft top? Also is the rear hatch gonna swing down, swing out or what. I couldn't tell by the pic, but my guess is swing out like a wrangler. is that why you left the side of the hatch on the jeep, and you'll have the "middle" swing out. BTW that is frigin sweet man!!! Good luck and PLEASE keep us posted. Hey maybe if your taking good notes i.e. measurments and [censored], maybe you could hook us up with the plans to do this. I would do it in a second if i didn't live in cold NH. Sh*t i'll do it anyway if i had the time.

Later,

Todd

88' XJ
3" rusty's
1.75" Shackles
2" RE spacers.
Rusty LCA's.
RE adj trackbar

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do have a person to do the top.hes a studio type whos used to doing everything from scratch.he said after i told him the whole plan...his exact words.."so..whats the hard part?"...as for the tail gate,the sides that you see that i left are to cover up the corners and lights to give the corner a finished look. the gate will swing down between those points.(the corner pieces that i cut from the lift gate will be attached permanently and the gate will be attached to those)the gate will be an aluminum custom affair.and i am keeping notes and have in the back of my mind a plan of sort to make instructions and possible parts for a kit type setup.i have a hidden roll bar and swing out door gates that i will be making,along with a bolt-on subframe stiffener that will go under the body that attaches to the unibody/framerail setup.should be easy LOL :)..ill keep whos interested posted. thx all,and thx for the support....paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: going TOPLESS this summer......UPDATE2!

making tail gate out of aluminum and perf alu.design to follow this week.......i also need a longer rear brake line for this lift it has.what works? thx all...paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I Do beleive you can use yours but relocate the mount bracket. I Have an 86 MJ and they are a little longer than an xj. If my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I don't know, man. Either a CJ or an MJ tailgate would finish that puppy off really sweet!!!! But I'll leave it to the master. I must say I am very, very envious right now.

It looks great and I'm sure you'll be getting the double takes up and down the trails. Looks like the old bronco style with the two-door. In fact, I might have to do that to my mom's XJ once she gets tired of it!!!!

Sweet, man. Sweet.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Wow Militaryota,

Love the back-mount spare. And that rollbar rocks.

Funny that I notice the spare mount since my buddy KaisrKris is putting a tailgate/rear bumper-mount spare on his '70 Jeepster not twenty feet from where I type now. I was going to help him out, but he's been a madman with the welder today.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks, I think I'm about to cut it off tho. I want to put my spare on the roofrack I just mounted on top of the cage. problem is, I cant get it in and out of the garage with the spare up there so it might have to stay after all..

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Unless the toyo goes in the garage every night after a long day of PLAY (well, hopefully you play w/ it all the time), get some old crappy rims to drive it into the garage, then put the current ones on when you get it out to test the newest mod. That way, you could put the spare on top.

Nice convertables!

Kevin

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, street glow shifter knob, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yep..thats a nice toyota TRUCK......though my aim is going to be a little higher cause im starting with a station wagon unibody type...ill end up with a pick up truck after all is said and done...wish i had a full frame and a sepperate bed and cab to start with...NOT....LOL :) paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts