Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some old postson putting older GM drive lines in to a scout, it suggested I start a new post because of the age of the posts. I am currently putting and older 350, th350 and a GM transfer case into a 74 scout II. I am on a budget as my last truck went way over budget. Anyway, if any one has tips, pics, or just general comments please reply. I bought the scout for a good price and moving forward regardless, just need some input from folks have lived through it. The scout already has a lift which is good but it also gives me issues as I need to raise everything to work out nicely. In advice, thanks.

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
Although I've never worked on a Scout I do know a little about them because the front axel used to be a common swap for Jeep CJs. The good thing is that they have a Dana 44 differential. The bad thing is that they use the same relatively weak outer knuckles and hubs that Jeep used with their Dana 30 front axels. And worse, they're set at zero caster, which is OK in a stock Scout, but usually was unstable in a Jeep, which I would also expect in a raised Scout on bigger tires. A good swap is a Dana 44 front from an old, full-size Jeep Wagoneer, Cherokee or truck, or most any 4WD 1/2-ton pickup of that era with the differential on the correct side. Of course it will have to be narrowed to maintain the stock track, unless you want to go full-width.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts