Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currenlty modifying the front and rear end of a 1/2 ton suburban to put under my jeep. I have the original steering box from the chevy alone with the steering linkages. I have moved the rear perches to the stock jeep dimensions, and I plan on doing a spring over convesion during this swap. The rear end is simple.....but....inthe next few days, I am tackling the front end. I have moved the drivers spring perch in two inches and cut a small piece of the pinion housing to accommadate the move of the passengers side perch. Everything looks good so far, but I am wondering about the steering mechanism that I want to encorporate. Should I fabricate the linkages (steering arm..etc) to fit the application, or should I move the steering gear box and try to keep everything else "stock" from the chevy? If I move the steering gear box, I will have to lengthen the steering shaft...no big deal. What do you think? Thanks, ~TIM~

83 Cj-7
85 Cj-7

85 Suburban

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not use the knuckles from your Jeep and just build a drag link? If you use the stock chevy stuff
you will have problems with frame cracking where the box mounts, just like the chevy's. Good luck.
Nickmil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you use chevy style boomerang steering you will have more bump/wrap steer then you'll know what to do with. Steering is the most important part of a vehicle and needs to be done right. Tri county gear makes a nice kit that may give you some ideas on how it shoud be done. Also if big tire are involved look into a steering box brace, Chevys aren't the only frames that can crack at this critical point. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.