Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the lock on the glove box on of an 84 CJ....short of using a plasma cutter........
I have the key....I'm having the door powder coated.......

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
On older CJs the lock goes through the door from the outside. Then a cup goes over it on the inside and is fastened to the back of the lock with a little phillips screw. I've also seen a spring clip that snaps into a groove on the lock that holds the lock into the door.

If it's not one of those, the plasma cutter will always work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the two screws....but thaking those out just alows the whole assembly to spin around....there must be someing that is holding the latch to the lock cylinder...

·
Registered
484 Posts
wierd....try spinning it very slowly while pulling towards the outside, it may have a groove or two that need to line up, see that sort of thing in my work often enough to try it.....

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
And when you're done... get an XJ jockey box lock and have it re-keyed to match the CJ and you'll have a locking CJ jockey box.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's already a locking glvoe box.....and the key matches the doors....in fact, I rekeyed my CJ so that it has the same keys as the wifes Cherokee....and the day that my wife couldn't find her keys and used the spare set for my CJ earned me bonus points....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts