Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted on another board that the 98-99 AX-15 specifies GL-3 (low or no sulphur....so he said) gear lube for the AX-15. He says that the owners manual is in error and that the Jeep Service Manual has the corrected specification. Can anyone back this up? He said that the sulphur in the GL-5 lubricants corrodes the brass (blocker rings etc) in the trans. Now not that I necessarily doubt his claim here......but haven't many brass parts been used for many years in many transmissions? What quality, or rather, what defect is in the 98-99 AX-15 metalurgy that makes it vulnerable to the sulphur content of the gear oil?

BTW-the Jeep service manual is next on my list of things to buy.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well i cant quote a book.. but i will say most manual trannies have brass in them.. and i think that the gl-5 is for non-foaming type.. meaning if you have a limited slip or a locker that is what you have to use. where as the gl-4 will foam. sulfer? have no ideal.. but i run nothing but the non-foaming type for lockers.. in everything.. even my d300... like you are supposed too.. so keep that atf out of my d300...

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
GL-3 is the specified lube, 75w-90. The GL-5 is not compatable with the syncros. AX-5s and AX-15s use the GL-3. The sulphur adds to the lube quality and is needed in hypoid type gears, (drive axles). The dealer has the right lube, use it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.