Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 258 had a little detonation problem a month ago. It now still runs good, it does however have a prety loud knock. I immediatly quit running it after the knock became apparent. The sad part is the engine had a total rebuild less than 1000 miles ago. Rather than fix it I decided to swap in a 360.

My question is, what is the best way to get rid of the 258? should I strip it down and sell off the parts or do you think someone would want it as it? There are some parts of value on it like a clifford valve cover, msd6a, manifolds, brackets, alternator, powere steering pump, etc.

G

·
In parts.

Any one wanting it would want to strip it down to see what the problem was anyway. You most likely already know how much that engine cost you piece by piece....might as well sell it that way. Takes longer, but you stand a better chance of getting more of your money back.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Don't assume the engine is shot...

I once bought a 'Blowed Up' pick up truck (knocking).
Took it home and changed the alternator, and drove it for two years, then sold it to a guy that drive it for another three years until his 16 year old son wrecked it...

I bought a Camaro that was 'Blowed Up'...
Went home, put header gaskets in it, and resold it for a handsom profit.
--------------------------

Pull the plug wires out one at a time, from the cap, when the engine is running.
If the knock stops, you probably have a connecting rod bearing problem, often easy to fix.

If you don't loose the knock when you pull the plug wires, pull your valve cover and start looking for broken springs, broken rocker arms, locks pulled through retainers, ect.

You can usually put a hammer handle on the rockers when the engine is running and find the bad (bent, broken) valve train components. Pushing down on the pushrod side will quiet bad lifters, pushing down on the valve side will quiet broken spring side components, and you should be able to see broken rocker arms. Cracks or one end or the other won't be touching. Air gaps make FINE knocks!

Your MSD module will work on any engine.
If you decide to sell it, LET ME KNOW!!
Used MSD 6 series modules are scarce around here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts