Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to order the tires in the next couple of days. I think I'll go with the Goodyear MT/R's. Has anyone got experience with buying tires off e-bay?

I'm 90% certain that I'll go with the 33x12.50x15. That 10% is leaning toward 35's. I've got an inch and a half at the closest point with the 33's that are on now. I've found some 2" coils on a junk yard Bronco that are only $10.00 each. I could then use my ingalls to dial in maximum caster. I'm thinking I might be able to fit the 35's with the additional 2" lift (already have 3" body lift). I'd just put blocks in the back until I get around to the <a target="_blank" href=http://www.homestead.com/90bronco/shackle.html>shackle inversion.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Good choice on the MT/R's.
You've still got 3.50's don't you?
35's are gonna be sluggish off the line unless you get some new gears. More $$.

I'm finding more often than not, that I'm just leaving it in 4-Lo on the trails. And, that's 33's.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'm trying to find out exactly what size the MT/R tire is. You may find the 35 will fit. Several sources show the MT/R as a small 35, at 34.4", just not sure if that is accurate. Same with the 33's, on the smallish side. The new BFG's are said to be 34.8, and the Swamper SSR radials say 35.3. I have heard nothing but good things about the MT/R's, just wish the sizing was more precise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a set of 35" BFGs and 15x10 rims off Ebay for $300 they were used but they still had 90-95% tread left. The only problem was the shipping, I got them ship by Roadway for a small fee because my dad's company has a contract with them.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
converted, go with the 35's. not only are they in a different league than 33's, but since you have a fairly peppy motor and only 1:1 high gear you could probably benefit from the overdrive they would give you. unless you tow, i'd skip the 33's and go straight for the good stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're right Muddy, I also was thinking about the overdrive benefit of the 35's. The lack of power with the 3.50's is a concern however as WD40 points out.

There is now a new option on the table. The truck had Bridgestone A/T's on it when I bought it. Last year while on a hunting trip I tore up a tire and had no spare. I was near a small town in the middle of the state and figured I never be able to find a 33x12.50. To my surprise the only gas station in town had a pair. They are Cordovan "Wild Trac's" That's what I've got on the back now with the duelers on the front. Yesterday I went to my local tire store to get permission to drop ship the MT/R's from Tire Rack to his store. I look over to the side and he has a pair of those Wild Trac's sitting there. They are $129.00 installed and I would only need 2 because the rears have almost no wear showing yet. The Goodyears are $146.00 + $15.00 shipping + $15.00 install and I would need 4. That's $704.00. These Wild Trac's would not be my tire of choice but I must say they run good on the interstate, good in the rain, and they have gotten me through the mud and sand reasonably well. The guy at the tire store looked at me like I was an idiot when I told him I wanted the MT/R's and my daily commute was 80 miles round trip. Maybe he was right

Here's a pic of the Cordovan's

I think I may go for the cheaper option. This will allow me time to get a good quality 4" lift, some gears, and lockers in place over the next year or so then I can get the 35's.

Hunting season will be here in 60 days as well and I've got my eye on a new layout duck hunting boat, hmmmm... decisions, decisions

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Huh. Well there ya go!
As much as I'd like to say, "go for the MT/R's".........
Hunting season in 60 days.
I think you're onto a good plan with getting the Wild Trac's for the time being.

Get the other mods done, then the 35's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.