Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to replace the carter bbd carb on my cj and was wondering if the holley 2300 carb is a good one. It is also a 500 cfm. What does this number mean in relation to the stock carter?

·
Registered
785 Posts
i have 2300's on both of my 258's. they are simple, reliable, easy to install, get decent fuel economy, make good power, and are good for flat off-roading and the street. they do flood when you try to climb hills. but, i've found, with the proper jetting and the long intake runners of the 6cyl manifold, its not too bad. i can climb most hills and have even run all the dunes at Silver Lake Michigan with a 2300. make sure you ignition system is strong. use the proper jetting. i ended up using the 02 sensor and digital mulitmeter to determine my air/fuel ratio and changed jets according to this. the info i used is posted on the website below. you will need an adapter plate and to make a custom throttle linkage. i got my adapter at AutoZone for $15 and used 1/4" rod-ends and threaded rod for the throttle linkage. one thing to be careful of: make sure that when you push the accelerator pedal completely to the floor, the butterflies in the carb do not rotate past vertical. i have heard of these carbs sticking wide open...not good. the carbs i use have the manual choke. i put a little pull-cable in the dash and it works fine. the reason i first did this was my Carter was running terribly and i had a 2300 sitting on the shelf from my racecar engine. i thought for $15, i couldn't go wrong. i was right! i still want to put a MC2100 on to see what differences there are in performance, but i'm in no hurry. hope this helps! matt

http://www.bob2000.com/carb.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.