Off Roading Forums banner

Getrag (sp) tranny, how durable?

21K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Sh1tboxenjoyer08 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 5spd tranny in my '95, 305, 2wd fullsize. I guess it's a Getrag? and I was told on one of the newsgroups that they ain't too durable. Someone told me that it wouldn't hold up to the power of a 350. I'm thinking of doing a few mods to the 305 soon, then switching to a 350 eventually.

I like the 5spd and would like to keep it but is it gonna' grenade? It's on a street truck, and I can try to take it easy on it, if that will allow me to run a stronger engine /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

Anyone know the specs for the max HP and Torque for this tranny, or where to find 'em?

Any experiences with the durability (or lack thereof /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif) with this tranny? I've heard they are difficult and expensive to repair.

I just don't wanna spend a bunch of $$$ on the motor and frag the tranny...and spend more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !

Thanks once again y'all, Brian.

See less See more
G
#3 ·
4L60E = Redesigned TH700R4 automatic that GM installed in 1/2 ton F/S trucks.

4L80E = Beefed up 4L60E automatic that GM installed in 3/4 ton F/S trucks.

The 'getrag' is the 5 speed manual tranny; I think it's a German built trans. I think it is a pretty stout unit, but they aren't cheap/easy to fix when they go. I have never personally seen one go out - manual transmissions are more durable than automatics in my opinion.

If I'm not mistaken, the same manual transmissions were installed on both 305's and 350's, stock. As long as you aren't going to be running a hot 350 that generates an unbelieveable amount of HP and torque, you should be fine in doing the conversion. Besides, a 350 really doesn't generate that much more HP or torque than a 305 (something like 25HP and 40ft-lb torque difference), assuming both engines are stock. When you get into modifications, you can do a lot more with a 350 though.

I like animals. They taste good. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

#4 ·
The Getrag is German built and was in the 1/2 and some light 3/4ton Chevy/GM pickups from 88-94/95. I say 94/95 because they introduced the NV3500's mid year and 95's can have either or and in 96 is was only the NV3500's.

Here is a post that I replyed to a few months back and has info on both trany's.

Ok, I just did some hunting for ya seeing I know quite a bit about this trany.

Here it is.......Turns out your trany is not the Getrag. GM used the Getrags (5LM60's) from 88-95. Seeing others will be looking at this post I may as well tell everyone what I have found. It is made by Getrag/Muncie (German made) Its used an RPO code of MG5 (thatst he code in your glove box) it is identical to the 4-speed version (4LM60) only it has an overdrive gear ratio of 0.73:1 with a first gear ratio being 4.02:1. The trany is said to be knows as expensive to repair and is rebuted to need repair often in hard use. In service manuals it shows as the 85mm 5-speed. Oddly, the GM manuals show that this trany has a 310LB-FT imput torque rating. As a comparison, the SM456 only is rated at 290LB-FT imput torque ration. (Personaly I believe these #'s to be bogas because the SM456 is BOMB PROOF.

Ok, now about the trany thats in your truck.

It is a NV3500. Its found in all 1/2tons and some light 3/4tons from 1995 and up to present. It is also found in all S-series trucks from 94 and up. This trany is made by New Venture but is not at all similar to the NV4500. Its basically a new version of the Getrag built by NVG. It shares the same looks and most of the internals as the Getrag and also has the same gear ratio's in ever gear. It is also expensive to fix and has an all aluminum case. It is said to have minor improvments over the Getrag but only has a 280lB-FT imput torque rating compared to the Getrags 310lB-FT

That should help you out a little.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

#10 ·
The Getrag is German built and was in the 1/2 and some light 3/4ton Chevy/GM pickups from 88-94/95. I say 94/95 because they introduced the NV3500's mid year and 95's can have either or and in 96 is was only the NV3500's.

Here is a post that I replyed to a few months back and has info on both trany's.

Ok, I just did some hunting for ya seeing I know quite a bit about this trany.

Here it is.......Turns out your trany is not the Getrag. GM used the Getrags (5LM60's) from 88-95. Seeing others will be looking at this post I may as well tell everyone what I have found. It is made by Getrag/Muncie (German made) Its used an RPO code of MG5 (thatst he code in your glove box) it is identical to the 4-speed version (4LM60) only it has an overdrive gear ratio of 0.73:1 with a first gear ratio being 4.02:1. The trany is said to be knows as expensive to repair and is rebuted to need repair often in hard use. In service manuals it shows as the 85mm 5-speed. Oddly, the GM manuals show that this trany has a 310LB-FT imput torque rating. As a comparison, the SM456 only is rated at 290LB-FT imput torque ration. (Personaly I believe these #'s to be bogas because the SM456 is BOMB PROOF.

Ok, now about the trany thats in your truck.

It is a NV3500. Its found in all 1/2tons and some light 3/4tons from 1995 and up to present. It is also found in all S-series trucks from 94 and up. This trany is made by New Venture but is not at all similar to the NV4500. Its basically a new version of the Getrag built by NVG. It shares the same looks and most of the internals as the Getrag and also has the same gear ratio's in ever gear. It is also expensive to fix and has an all aluminum case. It is said to have minor improvments over the Getrag but only has a 280lB-FT imput torque rating compared to the Getrags 310lB-FT

That should help you out a little.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
do you know anything else about the 4 speed? i honestly dont know if im messing with 4 speed or a vary broken 5 speed, every thing seams fine except the fact there is nothing where 5th gear should be, i can move all the way over and down into reveres but not up to where 5th would be, I serched the casting numbers on the side and as far as i can tell its the same cass as the early versions of the nv3500, it came out of my dads 88 c1500 but theres no evedencs that it was oragenal to the truck, he drove it the way it is for a long time, when ever he talks about it he calls it a Getrag 4 speed but i havent been able to find in informaton about it other than the 4lm60 you talked about, i tried serching that but found nothing. it looks like a old nv3500 but like i said it dont have O/D and has been that way sences before my dad got the truck in early 2000s. Im just try to figuer out what it is for sure before i put it in my 92,

#5 ·
I should have mentioned that my 92 Chevy Sport 4x4 has a Getrag. I was the 2nd owner and at 50,000 miles the trany went on it. At that time the owner bought a new one from GM because the labour and parts were worth more to fix it than it was to buy a new one right from GM. I had the truck for another 45,000 miles and it didn't give me any problems and 25,000 of those miles I was turning 35" tires. I have to say though, that if you are one to give the truck the beats/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif every now and then that it probably isn't the best case for you. I was pretty hard on mine though but maybe I was just lucky.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon

#6 ·
That's great information and great news! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif... and yea, I'd like more power (wouldn't we all!) but I tend not to put "the beat" on this truck. It's my 2wd driver and pretty clean. My turbo Toyota 4x4 sure lives a hard life though!

Thanks a bunch you guys, I really appreciate it, Brian.

G
#7 ·
I do want to add one thing even though it wont help you. Many sources say the NV4500 (MT8) was never offered in 1/2 tons. That is not true. My 94 GMC Z71 shortbox stepside had one. I know because I had to replace it. Just a tidbit of info.

Ray

G
#8 ·
my brother HAD a 3000gt with a 5spd getrag in it. the fricken thing cracked the housing and dumped the trans oil onto the cluth while sitting in a friend of his drive way, idleing.
i hope those two don't have anything in common but the name

Will work for mods

Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.