Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 sets of gears (complete differential's) one set of 5.12's and a set of 4.62's! How can I put the 4.62's in my Samurai? I heard something about a hybrid rear axle? How do I do this? Can I just swap the complete differential's in to my Samurai? Any Info is appreciated! Thanks:

Rodney C
Money Pit: 1985 CJ7 302 V8, T18, D20, D30, AMC20, SOA, Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End, And, And, And.........

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If i understand you right, you have either four sets (four axle diffs) or one set of each. Your going to need just the front gears only to put into a sammy. Let me try to be clear on this. You need two sets of ring and pinions. Each set has to come from the front of a tracker/sidekick diff. The rears do not work unless you build a hybrid rear with which if you would like to learn more about that, talk to wildweasal. He has a great set up for that. You cannot swap the differentials into the sammi without doing a little modification first to the front and a whole bunch to the back. Mainly the trouble can be setting lash and depth. It just happens i did this last night with the help of wildweasal and jeepn. He came all the way from maine to play with the little guys. I have either axle that you will need to make a set if you already do not. Any more questions and just ask, i or someone will try to help. Max

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
well, there are a few different ways to do it. can use 2 front kick/tracker gears and install them in a sammy carrier n install in sammy. i personally just put in a kick/tracker front third member in my sammy axle housing. never had any problems to date. on the rear, i use brents "hybrid" housing. cost me $150+ core for a stripped housing, did my own shock mounts n spoa pads. it allows you to use the kick/tracker rear third member instead of having to play the gear swap games. i have heard coments about the kick/tracker 3rd members not being as strong as a sammy, but anyone who has wheeled with me will tell you that i am not exactly easy on my P.O.S. zuk. i WHEEEEL it man. never had a problem with a carrier in mine. i would personally go with a hybrid housing. i LOVE mine.
just MY opinion.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I might add that i concur with billy bob. I am going the way of a hybrid as soon as glenn is bribeable to build me one or teach me how to. I am green with envy on the four wheel disk brakes so i need to do that too, and.....and....and .....it goes on and on.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the front gears from a Sidekick will fit in the rear of my zuk with no mod's or troubles? Thanks:

Rodney C
Money Pit: 1985 CJ7 302 V8, T18, D20, D30, AMC20, SOA, Shackles Reversed, 35" BFG AT's, Fiberglass Tub & Front End, And, And, And.........

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you are going to put a Tracker front third member into the rear of the Sammi, keep in mind that the Tracker front third member housing is made from cast Aluminum alloy and not steel like on the Samurai. It might be alright for asphault wheelin' but off road it could crack.
I agree with the others, go with a hybrid rear.The rear Tracker third member housing is cast steel.

"Reality goes on without me!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts