Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rookie question .... well, because I am a rookie when it comes to upgrading equipment. All this talk about gears and lockers has me confused. I have a D60 that I was told is a limited slip. If I buy a locker for this, do I need to get another 3rd member? or does the locker take place of the 3rd member? Does the locker have the gear ratio in it, like 410's or whatever? This whole thing seems overwhelming to me and I fell like I am in way over my head.
Go ahead and laugh at my probie question but you never know unless you ask.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Dana 60s dont have 3rd members, they have carriers that hold the ring and pinon gears and the limited slip, or Lock-Right and EZ-Locker style lockers. Many lockers like the Detroit Softlocker will replace the Carrier and hold the gears, which is a stronger set-up but requires more work. If you but a EZ-locker or Lock-Right you can simply swap them in where the Limited Slip went.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Stomper,

About being in over your head......

Dont worry man. It happens to all of us. I just recently got my first Jeep and before this i could barely change my own oil. With the help of many friends from my 4x4 club and a lot of Jeep Email Lists I am on and OF COURSE the BBS i now have a MUCH MUCH better understanding of my rig and what needs to be dont to get it trail worthy. Thank god i have a computer LOL

Isnt this fun? /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Kevin
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/cj7.htm
79 Jeep CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you sure you can put a ez-locker/lock-right into a limited slip carrier? I know this isent the case with any other axle but then again I don't know that much about Dana 60's

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
you can only install a ez style locker into an open carrier if the limited slip is designed to be removed from an open carrier- yes. If the limited slip is the carrier itself -no

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brownbagg is correct, you cannot put a lock right into a limited slip carrier. You can however put in the new Powertrax NoSlip into a limited slip carrier. They are not out quite yet, but will be avialable in a version to work in a limited slip carrier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.