Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 Honda TRX 125 Two wheel drive, auto clutch (shift gears w/o any clutch; it has not clutch.

Last week the chain came off the rear drive due to two of the axle adjusting/retaining bolts falling out. This allowed the axle to shift forward and let some slack get into the chain and the chain finally walked off. The chain did not "ball-up" behind the drive gear; it just stayed flat on on rear axle.
We got the ATV back to my shop and started looking at a few things.
The problem I am having is that the ATV seems to be stuck in gear and will not go into neutral. I have the green neutral light on the instrument panel and it works, so I know that it is not shifting into neutral. In fact, when you try to depress the foot shifter, its just stays in the same location as if it is stuck.
I need the tranny to go into neutral so I can pull the chain around the engine drive chain freely and rehook the chain master link.
I have the Honda factory shop manual, which says such as shifting problem may be a bent shift rod.
What do you think I should do next to try to fix? My boys' are after me to fix their toy.

Thanks for any help.

Replies

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would say there is somthin wrong if the manual says that it is a shift fork then that would be a good place to start.to me that sound like the problem if it does not want to disengauge
Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karl, this problem may not be a problem at all. Are you rotating the counter sprocket (front sprocket) while trying to get it back into neutral? If not, then you need to. You can use the chain to do it because the front sprocket is very well hidden on those things. Try turning the sprocket while shifting back towards neutral.
The gears are designed so that they must be rotating whe being shifted. Sometimes, you can switch gears without rotating them but that is only because of the coincidence that the dogs on the gears are lining up perfectly.
Hopefully this is your problem because it won't cost a penny to fix...
Trax310

Trax310

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.