Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I bought a 95 yj that is a stock 4 cyl etc. The owner before me put on 31" tires with American Racing wheels, and did very little if any off-roading. I do a little during hunting season, and the jeep is my daily driver. The highway performance is awful. I know that this isn't a sports car, but I have a hard time crusing at 65 uphill and must constantly downshift to 4th gear. Would different gears help? Which ones? Cost? Best vendor? Thanks ahead of time for answering this and all my other questions-I'm sorry that I didn't buy a Jeep when I was young!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Yes, changing the gearing will help. I don't know prices, sorry, but any decent garage should be able to help and set them up correctly. By changing the gearing you'll allow the motor to turn higher, which means you'll lose some mpg, but it'll cruise easier. There is a table somewhere that will show the rpm vs gearing.I know someone'll post it, sorry I don't know where is it. See what you have for gearing now, there should be a tag on the rear and front pumpkin covers that tell what the ratio is. I am assuming you have 4.10's, so I would change to 4.56's or 4.88's, but get other opinions on this as well. You might also look into trying to get a little more hp out of the motor, this could be achieved with a tuneup or other motor mods. Rather than change the gears, you could also drop a tire size or two, this would have the same effect as a gear swap, but 65 mph is still 65 mph, no matter how you slice it. I hope this helps./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You know, there really isn't anything wrong with running in fourth gear. If the truth be known, running in direct instead of "over" is actually less wear on the gearbox. The big sticker is that the driveline RPM is low, and that will beat up on the ring and pinion long term. The clutch will also suffer from too much starting torque as time goes on. The RIGHT thing to do is change gears so that the Jeep driveline turns the same number of turns per mile that it did as originally mfg. Turns Per Mile(old tires) X Ratio(old) = Turns Per Mile(new Tires) X Ratio(New) /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif It's just simple moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif math.

CJDave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.