Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys any of you even had any luck with adjusting the ring and pinion on 14 bolt FF my nephew has a truck it had a bad clunk pulled the cover 55 thousanths backlash way too much when i took it out the pinion was in too deep. I dont have a pinion depth gage ( never needed it for gear swaps)he has no money so I split the differance till i find out about shimming out pinion on a worn gear set he's running a stock 350 and 35's on a short bed so it would probly never break but id like to make it right if i cant adjust it out he's save for a new gear set and detroit locker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas when the gears were done? If they're stock and they're worn and clunky they should be replaced. Otherwise if they've been redone maybe they weren't shimmed properly. You say you've done gears before so you probably know that sometimes after they're done they need to be checked after they're broken in. One thing that I learned was that fewer larger shims work better than more smaller shims. They hold their tolerances better.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifSomebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't knowhow old the gears are they are 4:10's common to 14 bolts the truck is a 79 short bed but short beds didn't come with 14 bolt so who knows

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You kind of lost me on the shimming out the pinion thing but you adjust the pinion on the 14bolt FF by unbolting the pinion housing and that tin gasket is the shim and they vary in thickness. You need to put everything back like it was before you started. Sounds like the carrier adjustment is not right, remove the clips on the bearing caps and loosen one side alittle and tighten the other so your moving the ring gear closer to the pinion. Do this until you get somewhere near .005-.010 backlash and have some pre-load on the carrier bearing. This has got to be one of the best axles to set-up gears on because theres no pressing bearing on and off until its right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did move the carrier to take up the backlash and then i checked the pattern with marking compound the pattern was just barely on the the inside of the ring gear but I'm used to replacing gears not adjusting old gears and I dont want to wreck his axle

·
Registered
292 Posts
just back off the spanner on the ring face side and tighten it on the ring back side, this will move the whole carrier towards the pinion then when you get it tight tighten them both a couple of holes its easier than changin spark plugs really
soggysod

if it aint broke, break it so you can learn to fix it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.