Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the later CJs or YJs have a screw on gas cap or do they use the same quarter turn type cap? I put
a fuel injected engine in my CJ and had to do away with the vent to keep the tank pressurized. I didn't
use the purge valve and probably should have. Now I have the smell of gas around the cap and if I don't
get the cap on good, it will blow it off so I think I need the threaded type cap. Any other suggestions?

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I understand it the tank needs to be pressurized since I installed a GM tuned port V8. The original
Jeep charcoal canister had to go because of the higher fuel line pressure (50 psi as opposed to 8 psi in
a carburetor system) and increased volume of fuel returned to the tank by the pressure regulator. I did
my homework before I installed the engine and everything I saw indicated I needed to get rid of the
canister. The original GM system had a computer controlled purge valve which released the pressure to
the canister but I think this is only after the engine is turned off. Everything said I could delete the
purge system with no problems. When I ordered the harness they also confirmed that I didn't need the
purge system. I may need to look into this a little more but with or without the purge system, the tank is
still slightly pressurized and I need a cap that will hold it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.