Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i finally re-gapped the plugs a little wider...something i've been meaning to do for quite some time now. does anyone else curse GMs when they pull the wires from 5th and 6th cylinders, or is it just me???? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

oh yeah, i think i'm going to switch my sideview mirrors from those wimpy chrome things to the black ones. if it gets any windier down here, my side molding will start coming off. i'm sick and tired of those mirrors folding in a head wind /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif and yes, i did adjust them...numerous times. i think i'm all adjusted out when it comes to those mirrors. can anyone tell me a good, relatively cheap place to pick up a set of mirrors? i've seen some at wally world for around $15-$20, but those seem kinda iffy to me. i'm thinking autozone has them as well. how do those hold up? anyone wanna switch their black mirrors for my floppy chrome ones???? /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

btw, i want the manual ones, not the power wing-dings. i don't want to deal with the wires and junk....might can change my mind if i find a good deal though.

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

· Registered
4,738 Posts
mix up a batch of JB quick and put it on there. it'll set up in 15 min and it wont move. that'll keep it in place long enough to get a good deal on a set of mirrors. the trick to finding a good deal is nit NEEDING it and being able to shop around.....a luxury i don;t have right now.
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Good to hear on the plugs.

On the mirrors I would go with u4ia4's suggestion, only use it permanently. I think I need to go get some JB Weld. My mirrors like to fold in at high speeds or when it is super windy. Damned annoying. I don't fold them in when I am on the trail, so that isn't an issue.
I used to want to get some of the newer style mirrors, but I decided I liked the large rear viewing area my mirrors have. I once got me a set of those CalVu Street Scene SS mirrors you see in Performance Products catalaugs. Junk. Tiny mirrors, couldn't see [censored] and they always were moving. Only paid $10 so I can pass it off as a learned lesson.

Get some JB Weld and be happy with the huge rear view area you have.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
5,024 Posts
I agree - the WM & AZ mirrors suck - they vibrate & the paint peels. I'm not familiar with the mounting, but could you put some rubber around the arm or in the clamp (whatever the adjustment is) to keep it from folding back so easily? Or maybe apply something gummy like a hot glue stick dissolved in a little acetone - the solvent would evaporate leaving a layer of glue that should hold it in place until you pull on. Just a few wild ideas.../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

G

·
Shorts Shorts Shorts....didn't we discuss this some time ago. I also got pissed at my chrome mirrors and went straight to HiLo Oreilly and picked up a set for about 50 bucks a mirror. OEM replacement mirrors or something. Best thing i've done. Here's a pic.

-Ryan S- 1994 Chevy Z-71 TwoTone Navy/Silver, 33in BFG Mud Terrains. Custom Flowmaster Dual Exhaust. K&N system. Custom Kenwood/Rockford Fosgate system, two 12" Rockford HE subs.

Attachments

G

·
i agree with ya on the plugs shorts! what a PITA with the exhaust manifolds right there. anyways - look on ebay for the mirrors. personally i like the bigger ones and ive never had a problem with mine folding in, but i remember someone wanted the newer style a few months ago and i found a set on ebay and posted the link for him. i dunno if he ever got em (cant even remember who it was) but they were brand new and only like $30 if i remember right.

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

· Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do like the big view the chrome mirrors give me....the tahoe's black mirrors are kinda wierd /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif i remember discussin' them a while back...but i just stuck them on the back burner and forgot about them until they bothered me again /wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

i might just tack the things with some JB weld...i don't fold my mirrors at all(unless i hit the pedestrians on the sidewalk /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif )...plus it'll keep people from moving them from my settings.

thankx for the suggestions guys /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

· Registered
1,469 Posts
I was considering the JB Weld trick for the chrome mirrors on the Sport but then I thought for a minute.....Hey when I am a lazy ass and don't want to was the truck by hand I am going to take it to the car wash and in 99% of them you have to fold the mirrors down on trucks in order to fit through. If I were Shorts, I would just go a wreckers and pick up a set from a wrecked 95-99. We did that with my dads truck and it looks great. Paid $50CDN for them and they looked brand new. They even had power but my dads truck didn't so that was no use.

Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com

G

·
There is a fix for that problem, and its fairly simple one. Mine did the same thing on the drivers side, with head wind and about 70 mph was enough.
When you take the plastic cover off (that is the tough part, bottom is easy to take off, can't even remember how its held in place, but the top uses two "half arrows" (an arrow sliced in half the long way) that go straight in on both sides of the pipe that holds the mirrors on, and both hook to the outside, if you can get those off without braking them tell me how, I would like to know for the next time) once you do that, there will be a metal piece that wraps around the pipe, unscrew it and you'll find a piece of what I believe i leather. I ruffed it up little (looked too smooth) bent the metal piece in a little so that it holds the pipe a bit harder and put the whole thing back together. For the broken off "half arrows" i put a strip of double sided tape, the fluffy one, and I'm still waiting for the plastic piece to fly off when I'm topping out. Its been a year now and hadn't had the mirror move on me yeat, and its still adjustible.
On a personal note, even if I did have the car mirrors on my truck, I would wnat to replace them for the real TRUCK mirrors especially that it is a truck that hauls my buttucks around.

Will work for mods
Current mods--> 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.

G

·
shorts - i was just looking at the jcwhitney chevy trucks catalog to see how much shipping will be for my floor and i noticed these mirrors and remembered your post. they sell replacements for the chrome mirrors like we have on our trucks for $24.95 a piece. direct replacements, youre prob not interested but i thought id let you know as an option...

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

· Registered
6,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cool, thankx /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif i'll check 'em out.

i threw fits the other day 'cause the 18 wheelers going the other way kept foldin' my mirror /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif it was SO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
I know they're not exactly cheap but Performance Products has an electric fold away kit like mine for a couple hundred bucks.Anyway I just thought I'd put my 2-cents in.By the way, whats the deal with the plug gap?I have dual exhaust and K&N filter , should I do this ?

G

·
you can increase the gap on yours a little and you will see a little increase in power and maybe mileage. generally, keep increasing in small amounts till you see a drop off, then go back to the gap before that. the main time you will see an increase is when you get an MSD coil (only $35 and i will be ordering one within a few weeks here). since it has a more powerful spark, the bigger gap gives you more power and mileage. you can try gapping them out a little and see if it helps. you can always go back!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.