Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running full width chevy axles on their Jeep? Eventually I want to swap a dana 44 front and 14 bolt rear into my CJ7. I was thinking of this swap because I have these axles already. I know they are heavy, and I might have to change spring mounts on the frame. What about steering, driveshafts, etc?
Dan

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well getting ready to do that.. but they are not chevy axles.. amc axles.. and they are full size.. check my webpage in a few weeks.. will have it on there..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running narrowed versions of those in my YJ. They work well. I didn't even consider running them full width due to the narrow trails we have in the Pacific NW and the amount of work it would have been to get the front axle installed. The deal is that the front spring pad is cast into the diff pumpkin on the RH side and isn't easily moved inboard. So that leaves you having to move the springs outboard of the frame to line up with the factory mounts on the axle. It's not impossible, but narrowing the axles wasn't that bad of a job and the Jeep still fits on the local trails.

My axles are '79 model with the solid front tie rod. I just flipped the tie rod end for end and shortened it about 9 inches and it hooked right up to the Jeep draglink. The front driveshaft fit right in after being shortened about 6 inches. I bought an adapter u-joint for the rear that has 1310 on one side and 1350 on the other and it works great.

The really cool thing about the 14-FF is that the Detroit for it is only $285 from Randy's Ring and Pinion. Cheapest Detroit out there. And I installed it in 1 hour without even jacking the Jeep up. Have fun with your project!

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44/M8274)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.