Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got off my A$$ and really started working on designing a cage. I got lots of info from everybody, but of course had to do it even differently. I started by taking everything out of the Jeep and some of the dash apart. I used a friends shop to bend up some 1/4" plate steel as base plates.I then punched 1/2" holes in them, I also welded 1/4 backing plates under the body where needed.

I then cored a 2" hole in the dash 1/2 on the dash and about 1/2 on the windshield frame.

Then bend up the tube to fit

This way I can still use my window cranks, and switches and glovebox.

The tubes come down thru the dash and land on the baseplates

I've even made some handles out of 1".

Almost done. Hopfully finish welding it in Monday or Tuesday

It'll certainly be ready by the Reno event.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going thru the dash was not as hard as I thought it might be. After pulling the accessories off the dash, just had to figure out where the hole would be. I wanted it as close to the outside as possible. After cutting the holes with a regular hole saw, I could see I went towards the outside a little too much, there was the 'folds' of the dash right in the way, but since it's behind the dash, I just beat them over with a hammer. Figuring out the front bend was the hardest. After going through the hole in the dash, it goes parallel to the windshield to clear the headlight switch and then bends down to hit the floor plate. Amazingly we didn't screw up any bends. I will post more pics next week. Have to work alot this week.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, I definitley cut through some gasket material. Will it seal? Shoot, with no hardtop, I'm used to a little water. If I really need to, I'll pull the windshield frame and seal it up with some silicon. I did grind all corners and well as the flat edges of the plates, even the bottom plates. That's Rhino lining in the tub (and on the pedals)

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, the dork at Fat City couldn't read a calendar. Every time my time slot was up, he'd be knee deep in something else. He was just too busy. I'm better off anyway, I get to do alot of this myself. I like that.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK finished it up. Pretty happy on how it turned out, especially the dash. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd relocate the rear hoop. Maybe I'll get used to it. I always liked the look of the Jeepster roadster. It just wasn't safe.
Anyway here's a pic of the front with the spreader accross the windshield and some handles that I'd thought were a good idea, it seems everyone is always holding the rollbar, bad for your hands.

This next pic, you can see the rear has handles as well as a handle at the top of the hoop, long enough for two rear seat passengers. Kind of hard to see.

Next pic you can see how I tried to follow the curves of the Kayline soft top. I'm gonna have to figure out sun visors, but I haven't had any on in two years. Maybe I wont need them.

Now you can see the rear handles in this pic. You can also see that I can almost eliminate the Kayline bows. The bends in the roll bar tubing are almost exactly at the same locations.

On all four of the rear supports, I welded on some bails to tie down stuff in the back. God I love the heliarc welder, I don't think I'll ever afford one but they are bitchen. No mess, no spatter, just clean hot welds.

I'll post a pic of the dash pad when I get it finished.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, gonna paint it. Probably red just like the Jeepster, it's gonna be a bitch though.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No cage tie in, don't think I want it either. Unless somebody convinces me otherwise, the cage is mounted on 1/4 x 6x6 plates with 1/4" x 12x6 plates on the bottom. The front base plate mounts are welded into the front body mount arms and all plates are on a body welded seam as well as on two different planes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.