Off Roading Forums banner

Full Floater

450 Views 5 Replies 1 Participant Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
Anyone out there put a full floater in a YJ. If so, is it worth it, is it a pain in the ass, what are the drawbacks.

Fun not safety is paramount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G
What kind of a question is that? You're probably the kind of guy that would winch through three foot deep washout and mangle the tailgate in the process or roll your jeep off a nine foot drop off/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif. What's up man? You know I don't know the answer but it will be a PITA. My quote look familiar?

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
See less See more
G
it is really not that hard, i would change to the 5x5.5 in wheel pattern as the standard pattern hubs is not strong enough for hardcore wheeling. you will have to have some machining done to the brake parts so be ready for that before you begin the install.

dan
Good things come to those who do research!!
G
Whats up man, ya the d60 would be badass in a jeep cj or yj, the only problem is the fu%^in width of them. I know a couple cats that buy three quarter and one ton chevys from late 70s for next to nothing just for the axles, maybe t-case tranny depending of what they are and swaping in. The only problem with this route is the jeep ends up looking like a rollerskate for the JOLLY GREEN GAINTt, now if thats what turns your crank cool! Personaly i think that axles and tires should remain inside wheelwells for that stock look, let them underestimate your jeep. So then, like me you have heart set on a 60 and want to keep tires under the fenders well then you have a couple routes you can take .#1if you've got big bucks you call a company such as dynatrac to make you some custom axles( in my case thats in the next life maybe!!)#2 you like alot of guys concerned with function or form and run full width axles>#3 You go to the local wreakers and find a rear dana 60 out of a 1 tone truck or ford van for next to nothing. VERY IMPORTANT don't waste your time at the yard looking for a an open knuckle dana 60 they are like gold! But the yard will have LOTsssss of d44 fronts and rear 60s full floaters or not. So you found your axles, next leave the yard and go to the local beer store and grabed a case, you return to the yard and hour or so before closing and speak to the cats that are stripping cars. You ask about the axles you scoped out early, the beers help to estabish a relationship with the scrap yard cats. A little small chat about what you'll be doing with axles, and before you know it you'll be talking about 4-wheel war stories(everyones whos a real 4-wheeler or knows of one has a horror story or two!) Now the time you have spent with these wrecking cats was not in vein, you have just established a repor withthese guys.They see that you an alright cat you don't speak sh!t, and your not a GLUEBAG or MOMOHEAD!! So to make the story short you ask them if they could torch out the axles you want and use the lift to get these 550 badboys out to your awaiting truck! Oh ya the issue of cash would best be done the previous night before these guy have to drive down to the yard and fu$%&*in monkey around trying to get the axles out. So after you have paid at the office go see the guys that pulled the axles for you and slip them a twenty this is no big thing because you just got 2 diamonds in the ruff for$150 canadain dollors! Take those babys home, read, get on the net, talk to friends, hit the local 4-wheel shop ask questions ( the beer breaker workers well here too), find out every and any thing that applies to those axles! Because dude your gonna be cuttin em down!! Thats right your gone cut em to stock specs, don't say it can't be done because it can, there are many article web pages that explore this task the first one that comes to mind is one by NUTTER. This cat knows whats gonna on, buy doing it your self you save hundreds maybe thousands of dollors! Good luck

too weird to live, too rare to die!
See less See more
Landslo you sound like you shold be driving a low rider./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
Don't even step close to my yard w/ beer or be prepared to land on your a$$ at the curb. This isn't a flame but around my area this stuff hasn't happened for 20 years. I love to drink beer........ Even right now as a matter of fact but NOBODY better crack one at work!!!!! We run a good buisness that you can be proud to take your mom to> Not too many yard like that.... even now. Don't put us all together. Sorry to ramble but I hate to hear things like this! It's the same as people saying that all 4x4 people tear up our land and litter it w/ trash(beer cans).

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"
See less See more
G
Well Dirt Dooog you own or work at a yard? Is your yard one of those types that your not allowed in to look around see whats what, and what the yard has to offer for future projects. I know of a couple yards like that, where you can't see the cars you MUST!! ask buddy behind the counter to search for your part. Not to mention you have to pay more per part seeing how some cat has to get paid to pull the part, plus you don't see the part in its orginal living space which is IMPORTANT! The real problem with these "new computerized' yards is that everyone wants to act so professional, give me a break think of the industry your in THE WRECKING BUSS! All the formal crap is bull, everyone in matching uniforms, computer BS, next your gone tell me that cats at your yard have to be cleanly shaven and a beard or goute is not allowed please. Please don't tell me that your yard is paved in ashpalt or concret. If you don't have to get some what muddy to get it i dont want it. Reason being that means someone else has to do the dirtywork which translates to me paying more. This new angle that some yards are taking is due to what I don't know? Maybe its because cars now are so modern and specialized that you basically need a little "HAL 9000" to tell you whats wrong with its brain "OH DASIY" I'm suren when i walked into the yard i had spoke about the workers where most likely saying to themselves "who the f#$%$ is this guy" but like I said it was close to closing time, so i offered some cool ones and they where cool about it. After they rounded up everyone in the yard and kickeed them out, the boss came over to the garage and grabbed a beer and just chilled out. I spoke to him about the yard.......and so on, ask him about my axles and price, he replied "will get jimmy and dave down there and cuttem out for ya". Now thats how it should be done, now I'am sure if people were bothing these cats in the back every day they would get pissed! The thing is I established somewhat of a friend/bussiness relationship with these guys,now everytime i go in to shop or browse, I stop in the garage to see what shaken with them. There has been a couple times now where they have given me the insiders offer on some axles and trannys! Theres alot to be said about the old ways of doing bussiness ie. barder system and networking! IMPORTANT I also think its more of being on a level with people not to say one should change his or her mentality to suit different groups of people. Its more the fact of being straight up and humble in the presence of people that might have more experience in their feild then you do! The majority of people will recognized that your not an a$$hole or an ONE-Up ARTIST "they're the worst", so I guess this post is not so much about DANA 60sor BEER but "sounds cheesy" but social communication?. Oh ya by the way don't insult me with that low rider crap, this is Canada guy the roads are far too ruff for that jazz! Take it easy

too weird to live, too rare to die!
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.