Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 89yj with a 15 gal. tank. I heard that it may be possible to make it a 19 gal. tank with some modifications. Has anyone heard of such a thing on an 89yj. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Ya take the tank off the jeep just in case.
pore all the gas out of the tank. set tank upright
in a place not close to any thing that might burn.
pore about 2qt of gas into tank then take more gas and
run it on the ground to a saft distant like a fuse and
light it./wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gifThat should round it out to 19 to 19.5 gal.
If you would like a 25 gal tank use 2.5 qt of gas in the tank.
25 gal is about the limit of size on can get out of a YJ tank.
BTW
All of the above is B.S and please don't even think of doing it.......
I have a very good friend who is about 56 yr old now and when he was a kid
his dad had a gas starting motor on a Cat and a tree had fell and hit it
and put a big dent in the gas tank. WELL his dad tryed the above way of takeing
out the dent. It not only took out the dent it blew the tank wide open/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Must of put to much gas in it/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That mod only works on tanks from 91-95. Prior to 91, they used two DIFFERENT tanks. The 15 gallon was a metal tank and the 20 gallon was polyeurethane. The mod will not work for you, BUT! you can get a tank out of a 91-95 Jeep and swap tanks and perform the mod. You will have to spice the wires as they do not use the same connector. You will also have to use the filler neck from the 91-95 tank. It will be very obvious since the lengths are WAY different. I did the mod on mine. It's great actually getting 260 miles on the odometer between fillups. I figure since I'm running 33's, that's the equivalent to about 290 miles on a tank ful.

90 YJ "Mangler" 6" of lift, 33's, Lock Right in the rear

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif OOOO Kay! Here is your pop quiz for the day......"Why does a vessel try to go to a ball shape when overpressurized? Why not a weenie shape? Or, maybe a longer, flatter shape? Hmmmm...???"/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifI have it on good authority that the flat, weenie, and non-spherical shape guild would file suit in federal court if an over pressurized vessel assumed these shapes without proper royalties being paid IN ADVANCE - NO EXCEPTIONS !!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif You see, GeeAea, if you have a given amount of material, and have to carry the most gallonage, a ball is the most efficient shape, so..... the tank tries to get more eficient and changes into as near a spherical shape as possible.....providing, of course, that the royalties have been paid./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.