Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys ever seen a fuel return on a yf?
Every carb I put on my cj pours gas out of the bowl if I shake the jeep from side to side. The new carb that i got has a place for a fuel return that is right beside the fuel line into the carb.
Many of you probably know of my other problem of stalling....i think this could be from a fuel regulator that someone put on the fuel line. When i took the regulator off it ran perfectly, untill i burried it in a mud pit. After I was pulled out and tried to fire up again, the carb poured out more than ever. (All this time i had that fuel return port blocked off.

So here is my theory: do away with that regualor, and run a fuel return line from the carb back to the tank. My hypothesis is that i will have no more stalling problems, nor problems with fuel pouring out.
What do you guys think?

P.S. sorry for posting so much about this problem, i just need to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Well, my theory is that it's a bowl. If it's got a loose gasket or a vent it's going to leak. My 76 with a Carter YF leaked. My 81 Cartee BBD witha a fuel regulater and a return line leaks. So there ya go. You might keep it safer with wet mud.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My fuel fuel filter had the return on the bottom of it.
What is your fuel filter like?

Better yet...find you a ford or chevy TBI small block and never look at carbs again...it's called the 'no carb' diet.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I think there's two issues here.

First, the fuel return line - the reason for it is to keep the fuel cool. They put the fuel pump pressure a bit too high on purpose - when the pressure exceeds the amount the carb needs, the excess is routed back to the tank. That way the fuel in the line is always moving - it doesn't get too hot sitting too long in the fuel line causing vapor lock. If you pinch off the return line, the carb gets too much pressure, forcing the needle off the seat, possibly flooding or at least putting the level too high.
Either reconnect the return, or use a pressure regulator.

Second - the sloshing indicates the float's too high. Either because of the above, or it's just adjusted too high. It should not slosh out no matter how much you shake it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Here is a picture of my YF Carb:

There is one line for the fuel inlet and one line for the bowl vent that goes to the vapor canister

Here is a picture of the fuel filter mounted in it's correct Position with the return line pointed up. This is to allow any vapor buildup to escape to the tank to prevent vapor lock.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Humm, my 76 CJ-5 258 with a Carter YF had no return line.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Second - the sloshing indicates the float's too high. Either because of the above, or it's just adjusted too high. It should not slosh out no matter how much you shake it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've been meaning to adjust my float. But it's still a bowl with a vent. I'm 51 and when I "shake it" some time I spill my shaking fuel.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif

·
Registered
946 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Humm, my 76 CJ-5 258 with a Carter YF had no return line.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an improvement on my part although the gas tank sending unit had a return nipple on it. But one can never tell without a FSM.

I posted a picture because it was mentioned above. It helped a lot in my case.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Okay John, that was my misunderstanding.
I think I remember my old Jeep's tank not having a place for the return line and the fuel filter was a straight shot (in and out).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts