Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what year fuel pump and sending unit I need to use to fit into my '81 cj7 tank to be able to use fuel injected. I've been told that there is one that fits. I want to avoid using an inline pump. The hole on the old tank is about 2-1/2". Thanks Derek

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The only years that Jeep put an intank pump into a steel 15 gal tank was the '87-90 YJ w/ the 4 cyl fi. But the hole in the YJ tank is bigger than your CJ (I measured). You can swap the whole tank, but the fill hoses are on the wrong side. I think you could flip the tank around, and get longer fill hoses and make it work. So inother words, there is no direct swap for an intank pump. I am going to do this if my inline pump gives up the ghost!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tippy.

what year tank should i go with then to replace the original cj tank? Because i know not all will fit between the frame rails.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Why not stick with the original tank and go with an external FI pump, like the Master E2000?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Why not stick with the original tank and go with an external FI pump, like the Master E2000?

[/ QUOTE ]
this is what I did. Still running strong 2 years later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts