Chu
YJ-7
V.P. New England 4x4
Yankee Toys
EC4WDA

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
There are several things to be addressed here.
What is rusting? Tank-lines
Where is the water coming from? Changed gas stations?

If the tank has water in it , It will have to be removed to get it all out. The pickup on the sender unit will never empty out the tank leaving at least a gal. of fluid in the bottom. Gas floats / water sinks and even if you put fresh gas in it the water is still there and as you bounce down the road (and what Jeep doesn't/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif) the water will float around the tank in small little balls and end up getting picked up and go to the carb.

To fix this right would mean pull and clean/replace the tank and lines.
Thats why I have a plastic tank. But there is a cheaper bandaid fix that works pretty good.
Get an inline water seperator/fuel filter for a diesel truck and put it inline ahead of the standard filter. These things will take a ton of crap out of the fuel.It sucks getting dirty fuel to a gas motor but just ask CJ Dave how much more fun it is on a diesel./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif These are removable and will take 99.9% of the water out of the fuel system if maintained. BTW I also run one of these.
I hope this helps. It would be the easiest and cheapest fix I know.

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
They make a little bag of descant you can drop in the fuel tank on a string, and it will do the same thing.
It's 'invisible' to the fuel, but soaks up the water. We used them at a trucking company I used to work for years back.
I can't remember any brand names anymore, but I'm sure heavy truck parts stores will be able to help...

I think the first thing she should do is determine where that much water is coming from, and how it's getting to the carb.
How did 'Rust' get into the carb?
Something more going on here than a little condensation in the tank...

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My guess is that there is a leak on the top of the tank somewhere. In wet weather, the collected water is getting in. RACOR makes an excellent in-line water separator with a filter right in it. Usually, gasoline engines will tolerate quite a bit of water, not at all like a diesel. I kept myself in dirt-cheap transportation for YEARS buying up Olds and Chevy diesels 1979 to 1983 models. It was always the same....water in the tank...water grew algae....plugged up the matchbox-sized filter, and that was that. Off came the tank....cleaned out.....added Diesel Doctor and an algicide now and then.....then on went the RACOR, which had a visual water bowl, so if a ball of water appeared I never bought diesel there again....and NO internal fuel tank sock as originally furnished.

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Oh......and one more thing.......my chief moonguy-of-repair/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifjust suggested that the CHARCOAL CANNISTER be checked since it is theoretically possible to suck crud into the carb bowl on some applications. Like we have a clear, in-line filter on our CJ charcoal cannister line. We haven't RUN it yet, but it'll be interesting to see what comes up when we do. Hey.....WE don't know where this charcoal cannister has been???/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
That's Right CJ Dave! I forgot about that!
For a while, we got a ton of the charcoal canisters going bad and doing ugly things to one and two bbl carbs.
(Especially chryslers.)
I'm sure there are only a few manufacturers out there for charcoal canisters, and they sell to all auto manufacturers, so I can't pick on one manufacturer of charcoal canisters, but I can tell you Chrysler plumbed theirs so the charcoal crap did maximum damage when the canister let go.
There were even a few carb bodies that had to be tossed out because we just couldn't get all the crap out.

We also found out that in with the charcoal, there was some kind of filler, and I suspected it to be hard carbon. It would cut passages, needles and jets to death, and imbed it's self in passages and would not come out, no matter how much we flushed, poked or acid dipped it.
Charcoal should dissolve in acid, this stuff didn't...

There was a kid just posted that his carb had black crap in it, And the thought never even crossed my mind when I read the post...
Shows how quick I am this morning...

See Ya, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif My moonguy-chief-of-repair/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif is a more competent mechanic when he is totally blown out on booze than most wrench jockeys are sober. This guy is somethin' else./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Speaking of Chief-of-Repair.....less than 70 miles from me lives a guy who at 21 years old WAS George S. Patton's Chief-of-Repair. This guy is awesome, even at age 79....still thinkin' up good stuff.....is still an ace machinist....can barely see the small marks on the mic now.....but the skill is still there./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I wish I knew what a guy like that has forgotten through the years...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.